xxvi. Talent

The next day had been one to relax and do nothing while Dad was at work, Louis and I going outside to relish in the fresh air and sunshine. I was sitting in the grass in the yard just behind the cabin, my fingers playing with Louis' hair as he laid down on his back with his head on my lap. I watched as Louis stared up at the fluffy clouds that moved ever so slowly across the bright blue sky, Louis sighing softly as my fingers brushed through his locks.

We had been like this for a while, neither of us saying anything as we just enjoyed each other's company. Louis' gaze soon fell to the heart locket around my neck, his fingers reaching up to grasp it gently. The green glow was bright in the sun, and I found myself captivated by Louis' eyes as he stared at it.

His eyes were less blue than normal today, more of a teal color in the sun. His gaze flickered to me when he caught onto my staring, beautiful eyes looking into mine.

"What?" He chuckled, my shoulders shrugging as I kept playing with his hair.

"What color would you say your eyes are?" I asked, Louis' eyebrows raising as he laughed.

"Bluey greeny blue?" He started laughing as he stared up in confusion at me. "And yours are like bluey grey blue."

I laughed as he poked my cheek with his finger, my hand grasping his to kiss his fingertips. Louis smiled, the real genuine smile that I loved, before sitting up next to me. He chuckled a bit before speaking again.

"Imani has been wondering when you could come to the Rift to see her again." Louis told me, making me laugh softly.

"I just saw her the other day, she wants to see me again so soon?" I asked, Louis laughing with me before playfully tackling me into the soft grass. I didn't put up much of a fight as Louis straddled my hips, my hands taken in his grasp and held at the sides of my head.

"That's called being social, Butterfly. You should get out more." Louis teased before leaning down to brush his lips against mine. His tongue swiped against my bottom lip before slipping into my mouth as he kissed me deeply, leaving me breathless as he pulled away.

I felt a mischievous smile spread on my lips and as soon as Louis released my hands I raised one up in front of me and telekinetically pushed him off of me. He fell backwards and landed on the grass with a thud, his eyes looking a bit bewildered as I raced to straddle his waist, our positions now reversed. I took his wrists in my small hands and held them to the grass, Louis finally collecting himself and laughing at my actions as I smirked at him.

"I think I like this new side of you, Butterfly." He laughed before using his strength to easily push himself and his captured wrists from the grass, fingers latching onto my hips as he sat up.

"I quite like you like this too." He leaned to whisper into my ear as his hands held tightly to my sides, his hips lifting slightly into my own. I felt my cheeks turning red as a gasp escaped me, Louis chuckling before stealing a quick kiss from me and releasing my hips, allowing me to move to his side.

"Looks like you're getting the hang of your new talent." Louis remarked, smiling at me as he stood from the grass and helped pull me to my feet. "Maybe sometime I could take you to Minerva to train with me."

"Train with you?" I asked, Louis nodding and kissing my cheek.

"While I practice electricity, you could practice telekinesis. I'm sure Minerva has tons of tricks to teach you. She comes from a long line of talented telekinetics, I'm pretty sure she had a daughter that was said to be legendary."

"She must have been good to be considered a legend in Lux." I said, Louis' eyebrows scrunching together as he tried to remember something.

"I'm pretty sure she was training to combine all the Luxien portals into a unified Lux like before, but I don't know what happened to her. Minerva never answers me when I ask about her daughter, I guess she just disappeared."

I frowned when I heard about Louis' teacher, my heart lurching with hurt as I thought about how Minerva's situation was kind of like mine. Some wounds still hurt no matter how long ago they were etched into skin, etched into a family.

"But, enough about my teacher, why don't we work on getting your talents a bit stronger?" Louis offered, smiling as I nodded in excitement. Louis had taken me back inside the cabin to fetch a few objects that weren't very breakable and led me to the kitchen table to try and move them. The objects were placed in front of me: a pen, a book, and a pillow he had grabbed from the couch. Louis had sat across from me, offering me an encouraging smile before gesturing to the items.

"Move them one at a time to me."

I bit my lip as I focused on the objects one by one, the pen first. I felt the same sensation as when I caught the plate: tiny invisible strings connecting from me to everything in the room. When I tried to use my will to push the small pen, I felt a wave of force leave me, and the pen easily glided across the tabletop right into Louis' waiting hand. The book and pillow had been no different, the task at hand seeming almost too easy for me as they slid just as easily as the pen had to my boyfriend.

"Seems like you have enough natural talent to do that," Louis chuckled. "That's the easy part. Now try to stop them."

With an easy motion of his wrist, the pen came sliding to me, and with one stare I watched it freeze and stop on the table only a few inches from where Louis had released it. The book was even closer to him, and I laughed as Louis couldn't even push the pillow with my talent pushing him back.

"Stop it, you're cheating!" Louis laughed before grabbing the pen and playfully tossing it at me, which had taken a sharp turn to the left and clattered to the floor when I pushed it with my mind.

"I'm not cheating." I had argued against Louis before I felt my nose scrunch up as the feeling of a sneeze came onto me.

I sneezed into my sleeve a few seconds later, but what surprised me was when my body suddenly began to float towards the ceiling like gravity no longer existed. Louis' eyes were wide as I kept floating up, my hands missing the tabletop edge to stop myself by a few inches. He had immediately rushed over to me to grab my hand like I was a balloon, his mouth parting in awe as he watched other kitchen objects begin to float with me.

"Don't let go!" I had squealed in fear, Louis chuckling as he jokingly pretended to let go of my hand, to which I had launched the previously forgotten pillow at his head, watching as it bounced off harmlessly.

"How do we get you down?" He joked, but I was seriously frightened. If this happened when I sneezed, what was I supposed to do if Dad was around? How was I supposed to stop myself from floating then?

The answer to Louis' question had came when I sneezed again, making me and all the flying objects fall back to the ground like nothing had happened. I had fallen into Louis' arms, my blue eyes wide and staring into his as I couldn't speak.

"Guess we'll have to work on that, huh?" Louis smirked as he set me down, my eyes still wide and looking around the kitchen.

Dad had come home from work like normal late in the evening, and when it got dark Louis had told me he had to go back to the Rift, promising me with a kiss to the forehead that he would take me one day.

He had helped me undress and change into pajamas and get settled in bed, tucking me in under the covers and kissing every one of what he called his favorite features of me, which had ended up being pretty much my entire face. I had giggled when he placed a wet kiss to my cheek for the fourth time, my hands pushing him away gently.

Louis had taken one of my hands and kissed the back, wishing me a goodnight before heading downstairs to leave and head home. I had smiled when I saw a golden butterfly of light appear out of no where to land on my glass doors, its wings fluttering and gleaming in the moonlight, almost keeping watch over me as I closed my eyes to fall asleep.

Goodnight, Louis.

A/N: Dedication goes out to @Vinyl_Lou for their cool username.

Vote and comment what you think of the chapter! -Maddie