lvi. Risen

Mira

Of all the times I had woken up in a bed different than my own, this one was quite pleasant.

I was laid on a plush bed with blankets and covers that felt like heaven against my skin. I had been changed into a t-shirt and pajama pants, my skin smelling freshly of clean soap and my damp hair pulled back away from my face. I couldn't feel any needles or tubes pinching and prodding into my skin, only the soft blankets and puffy pillows. When I opened my eyes, I didn't see doctors in white lab coats or nurses with syringes. I saw my best friend, my sister, now reaching farther than just blood relations.

Imani was quick to hug me tight, making me hiss through my teeth as her arms unknowingly hit against my sore ribs.

In stark contrast, my injuries were not very pleasant.

I felt like I had been sat on by an elephant; my chest ached terribly and it hurt to even breathe. I didn't even try to move my limbs, they all were sore and tired anyways. There were small bandages on my face and arms, and I was pretty sure my face had swelled up to make me look like a multicolored chipmunk from all the bruises. While everything hurt, I was still pretty happy. It was nice to wake up and not be barely alive because of my heart. I didn't know if I'd ever get used to never waking up like that again.

"You're finally awake!" Imani cheered happily as she pulled away from me, a big bright smile on her face.

"Finally?" I grumbled out, reaching a sore arm up to rub the sleep from my eyes.

"You've been out for a few days silly. I mean, so has Louis, so I guess it's okay." Imani shrugged, but the mention of Louis made me quickly sit up before wincing and laying back down. My eyes scanned the room I had been placed in, a sigh of relief escaping me right after.

The only reason why I believed this awakening was pleasant (other than the whole bed situation) was because when I looked next to me, I saw Louis fast asleep in his own bed. We were still together, still going strong.

Louis must have been cleaned up and changed as well, a similar set of clothes to mine on his body. He had some bandages wrapped around his wrists, but other than that he seemed unharmed. His hair was ruffled and messy the way it always was whenever he had been sleeping for a while, and he was wrapped up in a warm cocoon of blankets.

"We've been asleep this whole time?" I asked Imani, who dug in a bag by her feet for a few moments before pulling out a bottle of water and handing it to me.

"Yup. Your dad has been you two's primary healer while you were asleep. He's been in here to check up on you and Louis and make sure everything's okay so many times." Imani said.

"And Allister?"

"His soul is still trapped in your little bubble and locked in a box deep below the Sanctuary. His body, on the other hand, is on its way to a portal across the world in Africa. Once you separated his soul from his body, everyone who had ever been possessed became themselves again and Allister's powers vanished. Marissa is headed to a high-security prison in a portal in Russia, so we won't have to worry about her either." Imani explained, making my mouth part as I remembered I had done it. I had stopped Allister.

"Harry and Kaguya?" I remembered hearing they had been taken by Allister before our battle began.

"They're themselves again. Allister had them locked in a room in the Sanctuary, but once you stopped him, they managed to get help to free themselves."

I took another glance to Louis sleeping in his bed. I didn't remember him getting hurt on his wrists.

"What's with the bandages?"