xix. Abstract

After some serious bargaining with my father, Louis had miraculously given me the chance to get out of bed and stretch my legs out. He had only told me to get dressed and ready to go out, refusing to disclose to me where we were headed. I hadn't bugged him with questions about where we were going, only got ready and walked out to the truck with him, heart monitor in hand.

Louis had an almost devilish smile on his face as I tried to ask him where we were going for the fourth time once we were driving down the road. He only shook his head, his beanie on top of it keeping his hair tame, and told me the same thing he had said earlier: "It's a surprise."

The drive wasn't too long, Louis eventually pulling into the slightly crowded driveway of a small building. I didn't get a chance to see what it was until I stepped out of the truck, my eyes catching the words 'Briarwood Northeastern Art Museum' on a sign by the door.

"An art museum?" I asked my boyfriend, who smiled and nodded at me. His hand reached for the one of mine that wasn't holding the small monitor, fingers filling the spaces between them as he led me inside.

It was a quiet and tranquil little place, full of paintings, sculptures, and drawings as soon as we stepped in. Some were of native art, from American Indian tribes so long ago, and others were more modern. Local talented artists displayed their work, and some were quite good.

Louis paid for two tickets to walk around, my eyes catching the way the ticket lady stared at the small heart monitor in my hand for a while. Her gaze turned to Louis, giving him a sympathetic look like I wasn't even at his side.

My head tilted down as I pretended to be interested in the laces of my sneakers, not wanting to see Louis' reaction. I was tugged away from the ticket booth and led into the first exhibit, my spirits now much lower than they had previously been.

Louis slowly walked around the native art exhibit with me, his hand serving as a tug rope for me to follow. We would stop occasionally so Louis could take a closer look at a piece, my eyes still fixated on the floor. I jumped a little when I felt Louis' lips by my ear.

"You know, you have to look at art to admire it." He teased, my eyes still downcast at the stupid heart monitor I held. Even if I hid the small monitor in the pocket of my jacket, the wires would still peek out of the collar of my top, the tape on one electrode by my collarbone giving away to the other people around that I wasn't normal.

I wasn't healthy, people could see that crystal clear. Somehow, it seemed that that was an excuse for people around me to stare a bit longer and walk away from Louis and I whenever we moved towards an art piece they were looking at.

I hated the feeling.

"I was just...uh...admiring the floor." I lamely said, Louis pressing a kiss just below my pearl earring.

"Well I would like to admire beautiful art with my beautiful girlfriend, and that's kind of hard to do when she's constantly looking at the floor." Louis whispered, making me sigh.

"What's wrong, Butterfly?" I felt Louis' arms wrap around my waist, his chin resting on my shoulder as he held me tight.

"They're staring." I mumbled quietly, Louis not seeming fazed at all.

"That's what people usually do when they see something as pretty as you." I blushed at Louis' loving words, but that still didn't make everything perfectly fine.

"Not at me, at my monitor."

I felt Louis' chin disappear from my shoulder, his hold soon spinning me around so I faced him.

"Then they know how strong you are too." He added, his words making a small smile form on my face.

"Better?" He asked, his gaze returning to the sculptures around us and then looking around to see if any people were around and if there were any security cameras. When the space was cleared, a smug grin was given to me before Louis' hand was held out. When his hand began to move, my jaw dropped in amazement.

A set of small crude sculptures of people in the center of the exhibit began to straighten out and literally stretch their limbs, coming to life and stepping off of their balcony. A gasp of astonishment escaped me as a sculpture of a girl began to twirl around and dance, her movements commanded by every twist and turn of Louis' hand.

The two other sculptures began to follow the girl's lead and dance as well, all of them spinning and turning until Louis commanded them to return to their spots on their display, all of them taking a bow before standing still once more.

Louis' eyes were warm and sparkling as they watched my shock, my self-consciousness forgotten as I dragged him over to another sculpture to see him work his magic. This one, a small sculpture of a native chief, gave us a courteous bow before returning to his stoic position.

"I can do it with paintings too." He whispered to me, laughing as I tugged him over to the modern paintings. The colors and figures swirled and jumped out of the frame, abstract figures and symbols circling around me before leaping back into their painting. A painting of a jazz band came to life and began to play, Louis taking my hand and twirling me around like a ballerina.

Our laughter was infectious, bouncing off the walls and lifting the mood around us. The paintings magically returned to their frames shortly after, but Louis and I kept dancing. His feet lead the way, his hand on the small of my back pressing me into his body and never letting me fall as he dipped my head back. We danced around the entire painting hall, our movements slowing once we reached a dimly lit room, the only bright light spotlighting famous works of art.

Louis let me lean back and dip my head again, his arms keeping me from slipping. My hands moved from where they were clasped behind Louis' neck, my arms moving to stretch out to my sides. My eyes closed as I felt like the most graceful and beautiful dancer alive, my heart fluttering as I felt Louis' lips take advantage of my enchantment with the moment to pepper kisses down my neck.

I gasped as his lips hit a sensitive spot, my hands instantly wrapping around the back of his neck again as he continued his torturous kisses, his teeth barely grazing the blushing skin on my neck before his lips met mine.

Our kiss was slow and romantic, Louis making me forget all about the people who would only stare at the heart monitor I carried and their lingering gazes within a few moments of mind-numbing kisses and our skin touching.

Our ride home in the car consisted of tender touches and stolen cheek kisses, most of which came from me. Once we reached the cabin, Louis got his turn, getting out of the truck and rushing over to my side to help me down.

Just as my feet barely grazed the ground, they were soon lifted up, Louis' strong arms pressing me against the truck's side. One hand was under each of my thighs as he hurried to kiss me, my legs wrapping around his waist as I let him indulge in heavy kisses and whispered words that were only for me to hear. His face nuzzled into my neck, his lips searching for the same spot he had discovered in the art museum, smirking as a soft whimper was heard from me when he found it.

My hands knocked the beanie from Louis' head to run my fingers through the soft strands, lightly tugging his head up so I could meet his lips with my own. Our swift and hungry kisses soon turned lazy and slow, both of our hearts racing with adoration and excitement before Louis let me down with a wink, chuckling as I couldn't seem to collect myself afterwards. He picked his dark blue beanie up from the ground and dusted it off before replacing it over his now unruly chestnut hair, taking my hand to lead me back home inside the cabin.

A/N: Dedication goes to @Nialls_obsession for the many great comments about the book!

Please vote and comment your wonderful thoughts and the next update should be coming sometime soon! -M