xi. Dinner

Every time I looked at the photo of Louis, I couldn't help the huge grin that would spread across my face. He was a goofball, even in the most serious of times.

But that didn't change what Dad said about not seeing him anymore, which would make my smile vanish in record time.

I emerged from my room still in my pajamas, the precious photograph tucked away safely back under my pillow. I was quiet as I walked slowly down the stairs, dreading any sort of interaction with my father. I knew it was inevitable though, he would be in the kitchen cooking like every morning, my suspicions confirmed when I heard a crackling sound coming from the kitchen and the heavenly smell of bacon dissipating throughout the cabin.

I sighed before walking into the living room, sitting myself silently on the couch. I knew Dad had to have seen me, the kitchen had a clear view of the living room, but was slightly surprised when he didn't say anything. The only sounds were the cracking of the bacon cooking on the stove top, the clanking of plates and forks being taken out of drawers and cabinets, and Dad softly humming to himself as he cooked.

Soon enough the sounds stopped, and I heard heavy footsteps on the wooden floors as Dad approached me, setting a plate in front of me on the coffee table. A glass of orange juice was placed next to it, the three pills resting alongside it.

My eyes stared forward blankly for a while as Dad stood next to me, a fork purposefully held in his hand as he waited for me to somehow acknowledge his presence. Eventually I sighed and took the fork, my eyes falling to the plate.

A smiley face of sunny side up eggs and bacon was made, drizzles of ketchup on top of a pile of hash browns under the bacon smile spelling out 'I'm sorry'.

I stared at Dad's effort to make me feel better, my heart a little warmed by his effort.

But that still didn't make everything he did better. I set the fork down next to the plate and took my pills with a gulp of orange juice, sitting back on the couch as I stared forward at the television that wasn't even on.

"Aw, baby girl, come on. Do you know how long it took for me to perfectly write out that sentence in ketchup?" Dad joked, a weak laugh being heard from him as I didn't respond. He sighed before I felt the couch dip as he sat next to me.

"Look, Mira. I know you're still upset with me, and you have every right to be." Dad explained slowly, my line of vision still not moving, but my interest becoming peaked.

"My actions last night were completely out of line, I want you to understand that. Okay?" He asked me, turning my head to finally stare at him for an answer.

"Okay Mira? I'm sorry." He told me, but I still didn't say anything. My eyes looked down to my lap as Dad's fingers released my chin.

"It's not okay. You told him to never see me again."

"I know, but I want you to do something for me."

I looked up at Dad, my eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"What?"

Dad took a deep breath before offering me a smile.

"I want you to go find Louis and invite him here for dinner tonight. I think I owe him an apology too."

My eyes grew wide as I stared at my father, sitting up and staring at him.

"You're serious?" I asked, hoping this wasn't some awful prank. Dad nodded his head, smiling a bit more when he saw a huge euphoric smile light up my face.

"Thank you!" I exclaimed as I hurried over to him and wrapped my arms around him in a hug. Dad chuckled before pulling me tight, kissing my forehead as I released him.