II. Tooth and Claw

The Doctor and I are sat at the Torchwood house Dining Room with Queen Victoria, Father Angelo and Captain Reynolds. "Your companion begs an apology, Doctor. Her clothing has somewhat delayed her," Father Angelo tells the Doctor.

"Oh, that's all right. Save her a wee bit of ham," the Doctor says.

"The feral child could probably eat it raw," the Queen says.

"Very wise, Ma'am! Very witty!" Captain Reynolds laughs.

"Slightly witty, perhaps. I know you rarely get the chance to dine with me, Captain, but don't get too excited... I shall contain my wit in case I do you further injury," the Queen says, staring at him.

"Yes, Ma'am. Sorry, Ma'am," Captain Reynolds apologises.

"Besides, we're all waiting on Sir Rober! Come, Sir! You promised us a tale of nightmares," the Doctor says.

"Indeed. Since my husband's death, I find myself with more of a taste for supernatural fiction," the Queen smiles.

"You must miss him," I tell Victoria, smiling a little but not a lot.

"Very much," the Queen says, looking at me and she seems to be lost in her thoughts, very sad. "Oh, completely. And that's the charm of a ghost story, isn't it? Not the scares and chills, hat's just for children, bu the... hope of some contact with the great beyond."

The Doctor and I look at her intensely. "We all want some message from that place... it's the Creator's greatest mystery that we are allowed no such consolation. The dead stay silent. And we must wait," she continues. She shrugs herself out of this line of thought, but the Doctor looks down as he is probably remembering his people. "Come! Begin your tale, Sir Robert. There's a chill in the air. The wind is howling through the eaves. Tell us of monsters!"

"The story goes back three hundred years. Every full moon, the howling rings through the valley. The next morning, livestock is found ripped apart and... devoured," Sir Robert begins.

"Tales like this just disguise the work of thieves. Steal a sheep and blame a wolf, simple as that," Reynolds says comfortably whilst the Queen looks mildly irritated at this.

"But sometimes a child goes missing. Once in a generation. A boy will vanish from his homestead," Sir Robert continues his story.

"Are there descriptions of the creature?" the Doctor asks.