Born Again

The man dashes to the console and flicks a few switches before checking the monitor

The man dashes to the console and flicks a few switches before checking the monitor. Rose and I are hiding behind a coral structure, staring at the man in fear. My arms are wrapped around my waist tightly and I am staring at him with tears running down my face.

"6 pm... Tuesday..." he turns a knob. "October... 5006... on the way to Barcelona!" he straightens and turns to Rose and me, beaming and looking rather pleased with himself. "Now then... what do I look like?" he asks, holding up a hand before I answer. "No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, don't tell me! Let's see; two legs, two arms, two hands..." he moves his right hand to his left wrist, rotating it. "Slight weakness in the dorsal tubercle..." he frowns before his hands fly up to his hair. "Hair! I'm not bald!" he laughs as he runs his hands through it but I can agree, he does look handsome with hair. "Oh, oh, Big hair!" he beams, moving his fingers down his sideburns. "Sideburns! I've got sideburns!" he exclaims gleefully. "Or really bad skin..." he murmurs. "Little but thinner, that's weird..." he slaps his stomach. "Give me time, I'll get used to it!" he smiles before pausing, his expression turning to wonder. "I... have got... a mole, I can feel it! Between my shoulder blades, there's a mole!" he rotates his shoulders. "That's alright! Love the mole!" he grins. "Go on, then, tell me!" he straightens. "What do you think?" he asks, sounding a bit hesitant.

I open my mouth to speak but nothing comes out. I don't have to worry though for Rose cuts in. "Who are you?" she asks quietly.

"Rose!" he moves closer to us but I back away and go hide behind another coral beam by the ramp. "I'm the Doctor!" he beams and I put a hand to my mouth, stifling a sob.

"No..." Rose shakes her head. "Where is he? Where's the Doctor? What have you done with him!?" she demands, her voice rising.

"You saw me... I- I changed..." he gestures over his shoulder. "Right in front of you..."

"I saw him sort of explode and then you replaced him like a... a teleport or a transmat or a body swap or something..." Rose steps forward and pushes his chest. "You're not fooling me," she glares. "I've seen all sorts of things; nano-genes, Gelth, Slitheen... oh, my God!" she gasps and he raises an eyebrow. "Are you a Slitheen?"

"I'm not a Slitheen..." he denies calmly.

"Send him back!" Rose yells, getting in his face. "I'm warning you! Send the Doctor back to us right now or I swear-"

"Rose, it's me," he cuts in, putting his hands on her shoulders.

"Honestly, it's me! I was dying... to save my own life I changed my body, every single cell but... it's still me..." he explains.

"You can't be," she whispers.

"Lexy, tell her!" the Doctor turns to me.

I open my mouth, but nothing comes out but a sort of sob, squeaking noise. I can't look him directly in the eyes; the way he's looking at me is just like... just like him. The man's face falls as he moves closer to me before standing in front of me. "Lexy, please say you know it's me," he frowns, reaching out to me.