Chapter 5

Grace

I rush around my bathroom, trying to get ready with the amount of time left before I have to leave to catch the bus. So far, my sweater was on, no pants, but I had socks. When I left my room for my shower I had grabbed the essentials; underwear, hair tie, and a towel. Reaching into my dresser to get clothes, the thought of pants hadn't crossed my mind.

So now, here I am. Distracting myself with my plain honey colored hair, waiting for my dad to leave the house so that I can cross the hallway without fear of him catching me. Touching the little curls that form at my ends, I playfully pick some up and place them right in front of my shoulder so that I can flip it like some girls at my school do. Catching a glimpse of myself in the mirror as I do it, I let out a small laugh at how ridiculous I look.

Next thing I know the sound of the front door slamming in literally shakes the house a little bit and Im snapped out of my moment. With my mind back on track, I hurry out of the bathroom and into my room, still scared that someone will see even though no one is home.

I grab a pair of grey jeans and slip on my regular pair of converse, and then spritz some perfume. Looking at the time, my heartbeat quickens seeing that I have less than thirty minutes to get to school. Although I wasn't walking to school today, I still had to make sure I was at the bus stop on time and if I didn't leave the house in five minutes I definitely wouldn't make it.

Jogging down the stairs to grab my bag and fall jacket, I grab a small water bottle from the fridge and an apple, and make my way out to bus stop.

☓☓☓☓☓☓☓☓☓☓

The bus ride was boring as usual. Nothing happened and nothing ever happens. The bus always stops three blocks away from the school but thats just because it's a regular bus and not a school bus.

My feet drag along the gravel as my eyes focus on the rusty orangey red brick colored building with the words Monroe Trent High School along one of the front walls in big white letters. My lips instantly form into a frown as I reach the block of the school. Its almost as if all the bruises on my body that ever happened when I was here instantly burn and my heart feels heavy.

I just don't want to be here.

I always feel as if everyone is staring at me, even if they're not. Its just become natural to me, feeling as if everyone is always picking out every flaw and imperfection, judging me, and thats just because its true. I know I can't be the only target. But thats what it feels like.

Walking into school every day is overwhelming, I have a list mentally hammered into my brain on who to avoid.

1) Ethan.

2) Ethan's cronies.

3) Overdramatic girls.

4) Sleazy druggies.

5) Anyone who seemed capable of killing me or mentally screwing with my brain.

Though as much as I tried it's hard. Scratch that, it's not hard. It's impossible.

Quietly walking through the sea of people meeting up with their friends, shouting greetings, and walking to their lockers, I reach mine and switch in and out the necessary books. This includes my world history textbook, and calculus textbook. Once I've gathered what I need, silently closing my locker and managing my books in my hands I make my way to my first period class. English.

English is my best subject, and most possibly my favorite. I walk into class early waiting for the rest of the students to arrive.

Two girls, one with brown hair, and one with blonde walk into the room, giggling at everything they say. The blonde girl eyes me suspiciously as she quietly whispers something to her friend and the urge to lift my hoodie's collar up around my face grows.