Chapter 7

I internally groan, fussing with my fingers as I slowly lift off my hoodie. I silently pray that my hair blocks the bruises and that no one can make them out.  Slumping forward in my seat I rub my eyes letting out a soft yawn and start to concentrate on the notes on the board.

        A loud knocking on the door echoes throughout the classroom as Ms.Thomas glances around the classroom, looking to make sure no one is doing anything inappropriate if someone important is at the door. When Ms.Thomas slowly walks to open the door another round of loud knocks float through the air. I flinch a little at the noise, with the classroom being quiet the transition to the loudness startled me a bit.

        I don't pay attention to who is at the door until Ms.Thomas speaks the familiar name.

"So you're the Logan Hunter who never shows up to my class?" Ms.Thomas asks, walking back to her desk picking up a folder. "I don't happen to have you this period. Why are you here?" She questions looking through the papers inside.

        Sitting up from my slumped position and pulling on my hair, I stare at him. Logan waves a paper in front of her.

"Schedule change." He states.

        Ms.Thomas plucks the paper from his hand, raising an eyebrow as she reads over it. She sighs before handing him back the paper.

"If this means that you now begin attending my class daily, then welcome to World History. Take a seat." She says returning to the board where she begins to pick up a piece of chalk and scribble down more words on the board.

        I turn to the side taking notice of the few empty seats around the classroom and then glancing at Logan. As soon as I look at him he looks up and his eyes meet mine. A small smirk plays across his lips as he starts moving in my direction.

        Wow Grace, smart move. I sarcastically compliment myself.

        A frown takes over and I start feeling uncomfortable when he slides into the chair on my left side. My insides churn when I look at him to find him staring at me. He doesn't make any move too look away and if anything stares at me harder.

        I decide not to look at him again and instead position my body to the right so that I sit away from him. The noise in the classroom starts up again. Conversations going back and forth, the constant sound of pages turning, overall just the loud mumbling. Ms.Thomas clears her throat and passes out a stack of worksheets before assigning the textbook pages.

"As you know we are on the topic of imperialism. These worksheets will benefit you as they give an insight as to what will be on the upcoming test in two weeks. Answer the questions on the sheet after you have read pages 781 through 788 of your textbooks and keep these sheets for review." She instructs.

        A few people groan and a few others get to work right away. I turn around in my chair, slipping my bag off the chair and placing it on my lap. The heaviness pains my thighs so I'm forced to drop it down on the floor and lean over to pull the thick textbook out of the bag. My bones scream at me as I lean over. Placing the textbook on the desk, I flip open the book and place my worksheet at the side, re positioning myself into my usual slumped down posture. My head hangs down, staring intently at the words on the page, and my hair falls around my face like a curtain.

        My right arm is placed on the page, ready to turn to the next page after I'm done reading and my left arm is draped across my desk, dangling my pen up and down. I hear the screeching of a chair but ignore it as I turn the page. 

        I gasp when the book is suddenly swiped off my desk and held back from my reach by none other than Logan. I tilt my head up still trying to reach for the book anyways. For a second I glance at Logan, his mouth formed into a scowl and curiosity forms in his eyes.