Chapter 28

"You're going to go do what?" Logan asks again as he stalks behind me in the hallway.

    The last period bell signaling the end of the school day had just rang a few minutes ago. Everyone was trying to quickly exit the building but I preferred not to get smushed in the entrance so I took my time.  In that time Logan had managed to maneuver his way over to me.

    He instantly questioned me on my plans today and since he's probably going to notice Alyssa outside the school anyways I decided to just tell him.  His left eyebrow raised in confusion after I told him as if he didn't expect me to have plans. 

"Do you really need me to repeat it?" I sigh, adjusting my bag in the process.

"No its just that-" He falls silent for a few seconds "No, Never mind." 

"Wha- What do you mean never mind? Do you have a problem with me hanging out with her or something?" I question. 

    His lips curve into a sour line while he shakes his head no. 

"So then what's the problem?" I try to increase my walking speed a bit, who knows how long Alyssa must have been waiting by now.

"There is no problem." He sighs as he shoves his hands inside of his pockets. 

    The main entrance soon becomes visible and I take it up another notch. My legs were going into an almost jogging mode. The wave of students that typically appeared around the front had now vanished and it seemed more welcoming to exit the building. 

    I step out of the school, the harsh cold winds instantly blowing my hair away from my face. Skimming the street opposite of the school Alyssa's shiny car stands out among the buses and trucks surrounding it. 

   I let out a relieved breath, glad to find her in front of the school where she said she would be. Suddenly a large hand touches my lower back and I jump startled to see Logan behind me. I guess I forgot about him in the midst of searching for Alyssa. 

    The memory of Alyssa on the phone last night flashes through my mind. I quickly glance between her car and Logan repeatedly. I couldn't tell if she could see me and Logan, her windows were too tinted for me to see through. 

"Uh, Well" I gulp, taking one last glance at Logan "I'll be going now."  

    I turn around ready to put as much distance between us as possible when Logan gently pulls me back and into a hug. It lasts barely two seconds but rapidly fills me with warmth. Just as quickly as his skin touches mine its gone. 

"Bye Gracie. Have a nice time with Alyssa." He half smirks, walking backwards away from me. 

    Words take too long to form in my mouth so instead I give a small wave goodbye, my lips forming a thin line. When he turns arounds fully and continues to walk a breath I didn't realize I was holding escapes from my lungs. 

    The warmth inside of me disappears almost immediately once I regain my focus. My hands twitch by my sides as I approach Alyssa's car. I hear the door click once I'm near the side and I briskly open the door and slip into the seat. 

    Alyssa sits slumped forward with her arms crossed over the steering wheel. She flashes me a lazy smile and wiggles her eyebrows. I look away as a guilty feeling starts to grow inside of me. 

"No Hello?" She jokes, putting the car in reverse and swiftly pulling out of her parking space. 

"Eh, Greetings are formalities anyways." I reply before placing my bag near my legs and swinging the seatbelt over my body.