Chapter 9

The front door slammed behind as I walked through the hallway. I carefully placed the bags of groceries onto the countertop and begin to unload the contents. As I swing the fridge door open and begin to pack the items into it my mind wanders back to what happened in the grocery store.

  The worker was scanning my items while I fished through my wallet, ready with the money for when the total came up. After numerous beeps from the scanner my total came up as $81.46. When I handed over the money towards the worker who smacked her gum loudly in my face another person appeared besides me. I glanced over to see Logan taking his items and slamming them down on the belt. Each one was forced, giving it a loud sound that made me cringe. 

   I stepped over a little to make space between us as he stepped forward closer to the cashier. She was handing me my change but at the corner of my eyes I noticed Logan reach into his back pocket, and pull a shiny silver card among others out of his wallet ready to be swiped. Wow, Rich boy huh? The cashier cleared her throat to get my attention before I whipped my head back to collect my money. I waited patiently as my items got bagged before I took them and bolted out the store. 

   Needless to say he paid me no mind at all. But thats good. I mean I did tell him to leave me alone. He was listening to me. 

   After putting away the groceries I pulled out a pan and whipped up something to bake in the oven whilst Im doing laundry. I crept slowly up the stairs before reaching the room belonging to my father. As I pulled open the door I was hit with the familiar stench of alcohol and clothes strewn across the room like always. I left the door open to grab the clothes basket. Pain shot through my back every time I bent down to collect dirty clothes and my legs ached for me to sit down. Still, I carry on collecting and throwing the clothes into basket until something sharp cuts my finger when I reach for a t-shirt. Almost instantly I pull my hand back to inspect the thin slash across my fingertip.

   I shake my finger and quickly brush away the little blood on the edge of my sweatshirt. I pick up the shirt more carefully and underneath is a tiny picture of my mom. I must have cut my finger on the edge. 

   I drop the basket off of my hip and onto the floor, quickly picking up the picture. She looks a lot younger than I remember. Her brown unruly hair shined in the sunlight and a huge smile was present on her ruby red lips. Her brown eyes shouted happiness and she wore a bright blue sundress that made her pale skin glow.

   Why does he have this picture? If there's a person who my dad hates more than me it was my mom. Hateful words are always thrown my way by him but its nothing compared to way he talks about her. Like its impossible that he was once married to her and had a child with her. Then again, look at how that turned out. Still, it bothered me the way he spoke about her. I shoved the picture in the back of my pocket, its not as if he would miss it anyways. 

☓☓☓☓☓☓☓☓☓☓

  I continued on for the rest of the day after that little moment, doing laundry and cleaning whatever else was dirty. Suddenly a ring sounded through the house. I stood in the middle of the living room listening as the sound rang through the house again. Realization hit me soon after that the sound happened to be the doorbell. No one ever ringed it so it was unfamiliar to my ears.

  Approaching the front door I peered through the small blurred glass serving as decoration. From what I could tell it was a girl.

  Carefully unlocking the door and pulling it open I came face to face with the person. 

"Hi neighbor!" Her voice comes out cheerily. 

  Funny, I thought we didn't have any neighbors.