Chapter 17

It had taken me some time to make my way back to class all the way from the library.  I was almost late but luckily I got there before the late bell rang. My hands felt sweaty as I walked into class and saw Logan. He was looking down at his lap and was probably on his phone as usual, thankfully. Besides Logan I could feel Lacey staring at me but instead I ignored her eyes on me and rushed to my seat. 

    I slide my bag down and set it besides my chair on the ground. I lean back up, resting my elbows on my desk and closing my eyes for a brief second. The sound of the late bell blaring through my ears shakes me and I breathe in sharply. My elbows shoot off the desk and my arms pull towards my chest on instinct, but on they way the hit the edge of the hard surface and a low ow sound escapes my mouth. 

"Grace, are you alright?" I look up to see Ms. Thomas. She's turned facing me, the dry erase marker in her hand as if she stopped writing halfway to check on me. I simply nod to answer her question. 

    I glance to my right and notice Logan turn his head in my direction. A smirk crawls onto his lips and he sends me a wink. I frown slightly and turn my attention back to the board. I couldn't pay any mind to Logan. I just had to pay attention to Ms. Thomas and Ms. Thomas only for the next fifty minutes of class. He brought people like Lacey, who never before even thought to acknowledge me, giving me warnings and even had Alyssa asking me questions. I didn't need any of that right now, or ever.   

    That was my mindset for the whole period. I may have snuck a look once or twice, enough to see the smirk was gone from Logan's face and something was upsetting him. The glare that I felt coming from Lacey's direction eventually faded too. She obviously had better things to do with her time than to stare me down for almost a whole hour, though I'm sure she could have.  

    The bell rang, and Ms. Thomas belted out a few words before allowing everyone to leave. 

"Remember that your projects are due this week guys! Don't forget!" 

    Well, I wouldn't dream of it. 

    I grabbed my bag and slipped my binder in before the feeling of someone behind me crept up. I turned to the side and stepped out of the aisle to get out of whoever's way I was in. Lacey stepped forward and then around me, heading towards Logan's direction. 

"Hi Grace." Lacey spoke. Her voice was coated in fake niceness, and she wore a smile on her face to add to it.  I lifted my bag up and turned towards her, returning a small fake smile while trying to get out of the same classroom. I hurried past the two of them, catching the look that Logan sends my way but I still ignore it. 

    I connect the two of my hands together, swinging them in front of me as I walk down the hallway. I didn't realize how suffocating it felt in there sitting next to Logan. It wasn't as if he was ignoring me that's for sure, but I was ignoring him. Thoughts of him cloud my mind. The look he shot my way not so long ago paraded around in my head. The way his eyebrows furrowed and his jaw clenched as I walked by him without saying anything. 

    My head hangs down as I walk which turns out to be a huge mistake. Before I know it my body collides with someone else. My bag slips off of my shoulder and falls down towards my inner elbow. My feet stumble back and I end up tumbling down onto the ground. A wince leaves my mouth as my butt comes in contact with cold floor. I look up to see a few people have stopped to look at me and laugh. Others continue walking but shoot me a rude look before they do. 

    I frown as I look back down. My frown deepens as my arm gets grabbed and I'm roughly pulled back onto my feet. I rush to grab my bag and hurriedly I push my hair back and away from my face. A soft sorry leaves my mouth as I walk around the person,too embarrassed to even look at them.