Chapter 25

My eyes felt too heavy to open Tuesday morning. I know that I well overslept but I most definitely was not up for going to school today anyways.I hadn't gone yesterday either. Instead I laid in bed, tucked tightly underneath the covers. My phone buzzed until I couldn't take it anymore after Saturday so I just shut it off and left it on my nightstand. 

    On the inside my body feels terrible. My stomach is twisted in knots and I feel dead tired. I barely left my room yesterday. It was probably nine in the morning now and the voice in the back of my mind told me to get up but my body said otherwise. 

    I roll over in my bed, the sheets becoming tangled around me. A small groan escapes my mouth as cold air hits my skin.  I kick the sheets off of me completely before I sit up and rub my eyes. 

    A sneeze escapes my nose before I can get out of bed. Great. I probably have a cold. I shrug off my drowsiness as best as I can before I slip out of bed.  

    My legs grew more and more wobbly with each step I took towards the bathroom. I avoid my appearance in the mirror knowing I already look terrible.  I brush my teeth quickly and stop every few seconds to release a cough. After that I take a short shower to wash away any sleepiness left in me. 

    Once I have a clean sweatshirt and warm pair of leggings on I force myself to go downstairs. By now I was coughing uncontrollably and I stalked around in the kitchen for some cough syrup. I checked each cabinet until I find a bottle of DayQuil sitting near the edge of one of the counters. 

     I debate against making something to eat, the idea of swallowing a piece of toast making me want to vomit. Instead I trudge back on up the stairs and into my room. The whole space feels clouded by sickness and I wonder how I've never noticed it before. I open up a window, pulling the blinds to one side in order to let some fresh air into the stuffy room. 

    It was at least eleven by now and I had nothing to do. No homework to catch up on and I refuse to turn on my phone and be met with a bunch of notifications. I didn't want to seem off to Alyssa. She has been nothing but nice to me for the couple months that I've known her but I wasn't in the mood to speak to anyone. 

    I've come to realize that I've now missed two days of school. My fingers curled up at the idea of going back tomorrow. Another day wouldn't hurt would it?  By no means was I ready to go back and face Ethan. No way was I ready to see him with Aubrey draped over his shoulders and his huge cluster of friends surrounding him. 

    What do people see in him? He's disgusting. I wish they all knew how terrible he really is. I wish every single person who looked up to him knew how low he really is. No one ever would though. No one ever bats an eyelash at him. Ha- Imagine if anyone knew what he tried to do to me. They'd probably call me a slut looking for attention. 

     My throat tightens as I hold back tears. The back of my hands are pressed against my cheeks in order to stop the tears ready to fall. I don't want to cry, I really don't. 

    How do I forget what happened that night? All my mind is plagued with are images of him touching me and telling me vile things. 

    He asked me if I thought I was too good for him, Was I too good for anybody? But was it my own fault? I should've just stayed home and none of that would've ever happened. I looked ridiculous at a party like that. 

    But- I didn't know it was his house. I should've asked sooner. Had I known then I would've never willingly step foot in that place. 

    My legs buckle and I collapse on the floor. Salty tears drip down my cheeks and soft sobs escape my mouth. My coughs mix in with my erratic breathing and it causes my tummy to contract in pain.  I curl up into a ball and lay sideways against the hard floor.