Chapter 1

Grace

My feet hit the carpet making thuds as I navigate my way through the school library. My fingers run over the old dusty covers of books sitting up on the bookshelves. I look over the titles searching for one in particular. Skimming over the books with the letters C up until D. Finally finding the book I've spent the last twenty minutes looking for, relief washes over me.

I could have asked for help, but that would've meant asking. Asking for help meant that I would have had to speak to someone. From past experience, I've learned its best to not ask for help, shut up, and do it by myself. My eyes scan over the book, it's pretty old. The cover is worn out and when I flip through the pages there are rips.

At least its not in terrible condition.

I walk up to the checkout line and stand there until it's my turn to sign the slip of paper.

"Diary of Anne Frank? History assignment or something? Taking literature class?" The librarian smiles politely at me.

Wow, that's a first. I simply just nod my head, and continue signing my name out on the piece of paper. When I finish, I slip the book into my bag and readjust the strap on my shoulder. Heading out the library and into the deserted school hallway my shoes make echoing clicks.

It's sixth period meaning most of the senior class is at lunch. There are a few people who usually don't go, like the supposed nerds or geeks who stay in the library to read or get ahead on homework, populars who hang out in the clear classrooms to "hook up" or something like that, and loners or druggies who sit in the bleachers or crowd around in the back of the school to smoke and get high.

I dodge around the hallways, just buying time until the bell rings so that after that I can just go to class. Checking the time on the school clock, I see that lunch is no where near being over. Letting out a loud sigh I decide to roam around.

While nearing the flight of the stairs on the second floor I hear footsteps. I start having a small panic and step into the little space near the wall.

Please don't let it be him. Please don't let it be him.

When the footsteps start to fade away I shy out of my hiding spot and turn my neck to see one of the loners staggering down the hall, almost colliding with one of the lockers. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and start to walk again. As soon as my body nears another corner, a rough hand grabs my wrist and slams my body against one of the lockers.

Of course. Thinking he wouldn't find me was stupid.

The sound of the locker being banged echoes through out the hall and the locks rattle. I become eye to eye with the second person I dread the most in my life. His cold blue eyes bore into my brown ones with an evil glint.

"Miss me?" His asks.

My subconscious snaps back with a quick no, but I'd never say that out loud if I know whats good for me.

"Playing mute today huh?" He chuckles. "Let's see how long I can get you to stay that way."

One of his hands crawl up to my neck and the other presses my body further into the locker. The cold metal causes goosebumps on my skin and his hands on me disgust me. The hand wraps around my neck and he starts squeezing. I shut my eyes tight and grit my teeth, hoping he'll let go.

"Surprising Grace, you're taking longer than last time! What's it gonna take for you to cave in?" He laughs into my ears.

His hand grips tighter and I start coughing. My oxygen supply gets cut off and I start squirming under him. Scratchy noises come from my throat as my arms try to pry him off of me. The noises start dying down and my arms start to slow down. He keeps on tightening his grip until my voice comes out.