Chapter 19

My mood was uneasy for the duration of the rest of my classes up until lunch. That's when the real panic set in. My scarf was making my throat too hot and I was trying hard not to take it off as I walked towards the gym. It was Thursday so I assume most people weren't anywhere near the gym. 

    Gladly this year I had health instead. In the previous years I had gym and it was safe to say it was my most dreaded class. I always had to wear sweatpants and sweatshirts to cover up bruises, and not to mention much it hurt to do jumping jacks and just regular exercises in general. Girls were really rude to me too during the warmer months, teasing me about my thick clothes in such hot weather.  

     I had borrowed another book after I returned the last one so I decided to skip lunch and just sit in the gymnasium on the bleachers instead. Pushing the heavy doors to open the gym I breathed in the scent of the large room. It smelled like overpowering disinfectant in order to cover up the original scent of sweaty teenagers, and it made my nose burn. 

    My finger slides up and tugs the side of my scarf away from my neck for a second. I was right. There was barely anyone in here aside from the janitor and two of the fitness teachers. I approach the large blue bleachers, bending my knees and stumbling between the tiny spaces in the seats. I walk all the way to the top and sit down with sigh. 

     I slip my bag off my shoulder and take the tiny book out of my bag. I try to concentrate on the words but my mind keeps wandering off. After a few minutes I give up. Closing the book and resting it on my lap I run  my fingers down the material of my joggers. Absentmindedly I take my phone out of my pocket and unlock it.  The screen opened up to Logan's contact and I immediately swiped it off. 

     My eyes wandered around the gym, staring at the banners that decorated the room. There were jerseys hung up in glass cases on one side of the room and large posters with teams on it. I sit for a good fifteen minutes,boring myself. I was quite shocked to be honest at the fact that I haven't seen Ethan yet. Especially since what happened yesterday. I probably had another thing coming for me, but right now he wasn't here and I was grateful for that. 

    Thoughts of what Finn said swirled around in my head. It wasn't up to me in the end if she really wanted to go. That was solely Alyssa's choice. I didn't have much say in it, but I didn't really have anything to say anyways. 

☓☓☓☓☓☓☓☓☓☓

    The bell had rung a few minutes ago. I walked quickly out of the gym and headed towards my next class, determined to get there before Logan did. Walking through the hallway I glance up and notice a few of the girls from earlier glaring at me. My fingers tugged at my sleeves out of habit. I didn't understand what their problems with me were. 

    I wasn't interested in Finn, he sure as heck wasn't interested in me. I didn't even know them and they already hated me. On the inside it hurt. It shouldn't matter but a little part of me cared about why people disliked me so much. Past memories infiltrate my mind and my breathing turns shallow as my head starts to pain thinking about it.  

    As soon as the door to Ms.Thomas's classroom comes into sight I try my best to push the memories out of my head. The halls were slowly becoming less and less crowded. I slipped through the doorway of the classroom and noticed a few people already sitting there. I quickly make my way to my seat and wait for the lesson to begin. 

    Logan never showed up which made the whole period much more bearable.  The bell rung all too soon, yet many others shot up out of their seats ready to leave as soon as possible. I, on the other hand, took a little bit of time not wanting to leave yet. I took the finished report out of my folder ready to hand it in early. As soon as I put my bag on my shoulder and stood up from my chair and into the row Lacey pushes past me. The report falls out of my hand and I grit my teeth in pain from having to bend my knees to pick it up.