Chapter 24

Grace's POV

    I ran up the stairs and threw my shoes on the floor of the bathroom before flicking on the light. My eyes stared into my reflection in the mirror. I didn't look anything like the girl I saw earlier in the mirror. I didn't look like that stranger, I looked like myself. Like the real Grace. The one with tear streaks going down her cheeks and swollen eyes and bruise marks all over.

     My heart pounded frantically in my chest, my mind beginning to spin again as I ran my hands over my face. This is what Logan saw, he saw it. He saw the bruise mark on my face. But- He didn't know how I got it. He'd never be able know how I got it. I will never tell him. 

    The mascara that made my eyelashes stretch and appear more thick was now smudged around my eyes and made my eyelashes look clumpy. Any trace of concealer had been whisked away by the many tears that fell from my eyes and my nose was a bright red shade from too much sniffling. 

    This was all too stupid. Who was I to go out and try to do something where I didn't belong? Who was I to get all dolled up and try to escape reality only to have it smack me in the face?

    I never want to recall this night again. I want to forget all of this more than anything. I want to pretend I never wore this dress, that I never got into Alyssa's car and drove to that party, that I never saw Ethan, and more than anything that he never tried to rape me. I want to pretend that Logan never witnessed me breakdown, I want pretend that this was nothing more than a terrible god awful nightmare. 

    Stumbling about in my bathroom I lean over the tub and turn on the faucet. Water spews out and I pull up the shower convertor. 

    Steam begins to fill up the room as I step back from the tub, tearing the dress and my underwear off of my body before running my fingers through the tangles in my hair. I bite down on my bottom lip to keep in a whimper after pulling through a knot a bit too hard. 

    When the shower water gets hot I step inside the tub and pull the curtain close. The water attacks my skin and allows my muscles to relax. 

    I cup my hands and let water fill them up before I splash it directly on my face, rubbing away whats left of my smeared makeup. The water drenches my hair and makes it stick to my face and back. 

    I grab the shower gel and squeeze some into my hands. I rub it into my skin, scrubbing with my fingernails until my skin turns pink. It didn't help me. I still felt dirty. I shampooed my hair, the minty feeling burning my scalp up until I washed it out and soaked it in conditioner. 

    Frustration builds up in my body. No matter how hard I scrub, no matter how many times I go over all of my body with soap I can't get the feeling of Ethan's hands all over my body to go away. 

    I feel trapped inside of my own body. My mind was closing in on me and I can't take it anymore. 

    The salty taste of tears on my tongue make me aware that I'm crying. I rest my head against the shower tile and close my eyes. 

    I breathe in heavily before rinsing out the last of the soap and conditioner left on my body and turning off the faucet. 

    As soon as I step out of the tub the chilly air from the vents in the bathroom cause goosebumps to arise on my skin. I grab my towel off of the rack and wrap it around my body. Steam built up on the mirror, blocking me from looking at myself. Sidestepping the pile of clothes left on the floor I shuffle towards my bedroom. 

    I switch on the light and a slight feeling of relief warms my chest. Never before was I so glad to see my bed and my pajamas hanging off of the hanger on my closet knob.