Chapter 3

Grace

I should have never fallen asleep. I should have never crawled underneath that desk. But, I did. And now my body is sore, my head hurts like hell, and Im going to be late walking home. But can you blame me? I thought it was Ethan who was pounding and kicking the door.

Almost getting run over by the same guy who smokes up a room I was trapped in hasn't been the highlight of my day either. Having to practically run from the room as soon as he left to get my jacket from my locker was a challenge. I had no idea if Ethan was still around looking for me and I was panicking the whole time. I accidentally tripped over one of the 'caution: wet' signs the janitors leave all about the place, and now my feet hurt with each step that I take, and my bag starts to increase in weight as if its filled with bricks. Just thinking about the distance I have to walk with this weight on my shoulder makes me want to curl up in a ball right here in the middle of the street and cry.

But then some realization kicks in.

"Oh God, dad is going to kill me." I blurt out to myself.

The thought parades around in my head for a good while. Just walking into the house when he's home and food isn't on the table just... it just.. No. No Grace. Do Not think about this now.

Sniffling my nose and continuing to walk up the block in the foggy weather I make sure only one thought remains in my head, or so I try. That one thought is to just breathe. And though it does stop the tears from almost leaking, it doesn't push the other worries I have out of my head. So, I start thinking. Maybe he's not home yet. He doesn't get home until around 6. It can't be that late yet. But then again who knows? I fell asleep and only have myself to blame. I don't know how long I was in that closet.

My watch doesn't even work anymore so its no use in wearing. The little hand in it got stuck when the glass cracked after being pushed on the floor too many times. And I have no phone, I mean seriously, me? Who do I have to call? And who do I know that would call me?

So I guess that would be it for now. I'd just have to guess. It has to still be at least around 5:20. Maybe then I can make it home and quickly put something together. I mean, something is better than nothing? Right? Well it would have to be for tonight. So I quicken my pace, despite the feet ache and heavy bag.

It takes about ten minutes more of walking before I can make out my house through the mistiness. The average sized creme colored house with the basic stone walkway and paved driveway. His car isn't parked there which means he's not home.

Yes! Yes yes yes!

I quickly rush up to the house, fumbling around in my bag trying to get my keys out. Finally finding the key, and shoving it through the lock, I don't even take a moment to take off my jacket or shoes and instantly rush into the kitchen to wash my hands and get started on dinner.

Opening the refrigerator, my eyes scan the items inside quickly before pulling out the tomato sauce and grated cheese in the small packages. I set it down on the small island and remember the ground turkey sitting in the freezer. After pulling out the pot and boiling the sauce, adding water, some seasoning, and beans, I start to brown the thawed meat in the pan.

After a few minutes when the meat is no longer pink I dump it into the tomato concoction and stir it to finish cooking. Rushing around the kitchen has become pretty normal for me. Its been the same the past few years. Ever since the last time I saw my mom. I don't know where she went. But I refuse to believe that she left. Maybe she'll come back soon. She was always pretty here, there, and almost everywhere kind of person. And she did the same thing when I younger. But this is the longest its been. 5 Years. I haven't seen her since I was twelve. A couple days after my twelfth birthday to be exact. But I'll be eighteen In January, a few days after and that'll make it 6 years.