Chapter 12

I stood at the front of my porch staring down the chestnut colored house a couple feet away from me. There was sleek black Mercedes Benz parked in the drive way, which over the past days I've come to learn was Alyssa's car. It meant she was home. If I didn't apologize then what? Would Finn actually approach me in school again?

   Would apologizing make her my friend? I guess that wouldn't be so bad, she didn't seem like a bad person. We didn't go to the same school, so she wouldn't have the chance to hear what people have to say about me, unless it came out of Finn's mouth. 

    I kicked at the small pile of leafs gathering on the floor of the porch from the Autumn season going into full effect. Who was keeping me from doing this? Why do I feel so restricted? Something builds up in my chest as I stomp down the stairs of the porch, and walk the couple of feet up to her house. Before I can think my hand rapidly knocks on the door in-front of me. 

    For a second I feel my jaw drop. Did I really just do that? I stand there quietly, silently praying that she's watching TV and didn't hear my knocking. A few more seconds pass by. Maybe I should just leave before someone else comes. I hastily turn around and make my way down the stairs when I hear the door creak open. 

"Grace?" Her voice comes out confused.

    I stay frozen in my spot, ashamed. Slowly I turn around to meet her stare. Her face looks confused but then slowly changes into a more relived look. 

"Oh my god! I thought you were going be mad at me forever! Im so sorry about Finn, he never knows when to shut his mouth you know." She shakes her head as a smile graces her face. Her black hair was thrown up into a bun and her bangs were swept to the side. She stood with the door wide open behind her, dressed in sweats and looking a lot less bright from the first time I met her. 

"I'm, We-well, I'm actually here to apologize." I say quietly, looking at down at the white stone stairs. 

"What are talking about? What are you apologizing for? If anything Finn should be the one apologizing to you." Her voice came out bewildered but still stern.  

"He sorta did. I g-guess." I look at her. She rolls her eyes and shakes her head again. 

"Well do you wanna come inside? I mean I have homework to do but I'd rather much hang out with someone than stress over trigonometry." 

"Oh, no. I mean, I have to make dinner and stuff." She flashed me a knowingly look and crosses her arms.

"Are you serious Grace? When was the last time you hung out with somebody? No offense, but you don't seem like the type to be crowded by tons of people." For a second I felt hurt, but then I realized she was right. She must have noticed the look on my face because she quickly responded.

"Sorry, I'm the worst when it comes to this honestly. I shouldn't even have said that. I don't really have that many friends either. " She explains while keeping her voice quiet.  For the second time while being on her property my jaw dropped. 

"Are you serious?" I question. She gives me a wavering smile. "How come? You, You're so, You're so bubbly. And your brother has probably a million friends." I gape.

"Kind of hard to get or keep friends when they are only interested in hooking up with your brother. Not to mention Finn is so overprotective, I don't think Ive had a guy friend since kindergarten. I guess thats why I seemed so bubbly when I introduced myself to you. Besides, you don't seem fond of him so I'm making it a personal mission to make you my friend." She adds, her voice gaining back some spirit. 

"Oh, I, Um-" I get cut off.

"Stop Grace, just come hang out with me, please?" Her voice wavers just like her smile did a couple seconds ago. That's probably why Finn was so pushy about me apologizing. She really didn't look as lonely as she might be.