One

"i feel heavy because my heart absorbs everything around me

"i feel heavy because my heart absorbs everything around me."
---

New beginning.

That's what they told me two years ago when I went to go live with my grandmother. But it was probably the worst new beginning that had ever happened to me. I was supposed to be happy but instead, I wasn't.

But here I am, in a plane about to land in the city of Los Angeles.

I honestly thought I would never step foot in this city again after what had happened the last time I was here, but here I am, about to start fresh and try to forget about what had happened two years ago on that dark and unforgettable night.

"Miss, are you alright? The plane just landed." I looked away from the window and see a flight attendant.  I look back at the window and see that we have in fact landed. I didn't even realize.

"Yes, I am fine," I said before standing up from my seat and getting my belongings.

I didn't have much. I only had two duffle bags that held all of my clothes and other sentimental things that I could never part with.

Once I get off the plane along with all of the other passengers, I walk inside the airport and go towards where Aunt Isabelle said she would pick me up.

When I do reach where she said to meet, I see her holding a sign with my name on it and then my cousin Wes standing next to her with a bored expression on his face.

Aunt Isabelle looks good. She looks healthy. The last time I saw her was two years ago before I went to go live with my grandmother, and she was a mess. But right now, she looks happy.

Isabelle is my mother's sister. They were super close and always did everything together. My mom would fly across the country just to see her. I remember Isabelle's face that night at the hospital. She looked absolutely heartbroken and shattered.

"Oh, Alexis!" Isabelle squealed while walking closer to me with open arms. She reaches me and puts her arms around me engulfing me in a tight hug. I tense while she hugs me but then she finally releases me and puts her hands on my shoulder to take a look at me. "Wow, you look so beautiful. You have grown so much since the last time I saw you. Wes come say hi to Alexis."

Wes takes a few steps towards us, but he doesn't make any move to hug me. He gives me a small smile and I smile back at him before looking back at Isabelle who was smiling widely.

Wes is my cousin. He is my only cousin. My mom only has one sister and Isabelle never got the chance to have any more children. My father never had any siblings so therefore we didn't have any extended family from his side.

Wes is the same age as me. I remember we use to be close when we were younger but once he got older, he started to hang out with his friends instead of his cousin. But he would usually talk to my brother when he was around because he was always desperate for his attention.

"Mom I think Alexis is tired from her flight. We should probably head home." Wes said and I couldn't be more grateful that he did.

"Oh of course. You are probably so tired." Isabelle chuckled before letting me go. "The car isn't far. Wes, take her bags so she doesn't have to hold them."

Before Wes could take my bags, I stop him and speak. "It's fine. I got them."

"Don't be silly. Wes, help her carry them." Isabelle said making Wes take one of my bags to hold it. Once we get inside the car Isabelle turns the air on in the car and starts driving. "So how was your flight, Alexis?"

"It was okay. Thank you again for letting me stay with you." I spoke.

"Of course. I don't want you to live with that she-devil. I am glad you finally decided to come to stay with us. Our doors are always open to you Alexis." Isabelle said with a smile.

I smile back at her and look out the window. I noticed that it also started raining a little. It was dark and gloomy outside.

I saw all of the nice and tall buildings pass by. Los Angeles is not like where I lived. New Jersey was small and had colder weather than this. The town I lived in was super small and everyone knew everyone. Moving to Los Angeles is definitely a big change for me.

As the car comes to a stop, I look out the other window to see that we were in front of Isabelle's home. I have always loved how her house looked. It was the perfect family house.

We all got out of the car. Wes grabbed both of my bags before I had a chance to get them.

"Okay, Wes can you show Alexis her room?" Isabelle asked as we walked inside her house.

Isabelle's house stilled looked the same. I haven't been here since the accident two years ago.  She still had the big, grey, cloud couches in the living room with a huge flat screen on the wall and then the black coffee table in the middle.

"Come on," Wes said making me follow him upstairs. When we walk into my room, I noticed a bed was in the middle with a grey blanket and white pillows. Isabelle knows how much I loved those colors. "Mom said that you would maybe want to decorate the room yourself, so she decided to not do anything."  Wes put my bags on the bed. "But she also knows how much you love these colors, so we painted the room grey and put covers on the bed."

I looked around the room more and see I had a bathroom and walk-in closet. There was also a black desk in front of the window I had in the room. It looked fine the way it is. I don't think I wanted to change anything in the room.

"I'll make sure to tell her thank you," I said while still looking around the room.

"Yea she was super excited for you to come here. It's been quiet in the house since dad went overseas."

Wes's dad, Johnathan is in the military, and he leaves home a lot to serve. I can tell Wes misses him but tries not to show it.

"How is you dad?" I asked looking back at him.

"He is doing good. I called him a few days ago."

"When was the last time you saw him?"

"Uh a few months ago. He is going to be gone for a while though, so he makes sure to call and check in on us when he isn't busy."

"How's Isabelle doing?"

Wes looks up at me instead of the ground. "She is better. She is taking care of herself." Wes answered and I know what question he is wanting to ask because almost everyone I know has asked me this question. "What about you?"

Million-dollar question.

I don't know how to answer this question.

I could say I am fine but that is such a cliche answer that almost everyone gives. Saying that you're fine is like saying 'yea I am feeling super shitty right now, but I don't want to talk about it'.

I'm definitely not okay. I don't think I ever will be.

"I don't know the answer to that."

Wes straightens his posture. "Well if you need anything let me know." I nodded my head and Wes turns to go out the door, but he looks back at me once more. "Mom made food so if you're hungry come downstairs. She also wants to talk to you about school and other stuff."

I nodded my head and Wes leaves the room and closes the door.

I walk towards the window in my room and look outside.

It feels weird being back here. After two years of avoiding the same place that destroyed me, I am here again.

But like everyone keeps saying, this is a new beginning.