Seventeen

"hope is summarized in four words; the desire to live

"hope is summarized in four words; the desire to live."
---

Going to the tracks a few days ago kind of felt like I got hit in the face. Being in just that area felt familiar, and I don't know if it's because of the times I would go and hang out with Jack where he raced or if it was something completely different.

I really really felt the need to go in one of the cars and race too. I wish I did because I haven't gone racing in such a long time.

I close my locker and when I do I see Mathew leaning on the locker beside mine.

"Mystery girl." He said while also flashing me a smile.

"Mathew," I replied in a similar tone.

"So, what are you doing for lunch?" He asked me.

"Probably going to go eat outside with my friends."

"The soccer player and the girl with the curly hair, right?"

"Willow and Ben." I corrected him instead go him just describing them.

"Want to come to have lunch with me?" Mathew asked with a wide smile on his face.

"I would but as I said, I'm going to probably eat with my friend."

"Just once," Mathew begged.

I chuckled. "Next time Mathew. I promise and I never break my promise." I said with a reassuring smile.

Mathew gives me a sad smile. "Okay but don't think I won't forget. I will drag you to the table myself next time."

I laugh and Mathew walks back to where the cafeteria was while I walked to the front doors of the school.

I appreciate Mathew's effort in trying to be my friend though. He is a super cool guy and I bet almost everyone else in the school thinks so as well.

When I walk outside of the school, I see Willow and Ben sitting down at our small wooden table. Willow was laughing at Ban and throwing a small chip at him.

"Hey," I said as I sat down next to Ben.

"What took you so long? I was stuck with this Dofus." Willow said while narrowing her eyes at Ben.

"I a far from a Dofus sweetheart," Ben said while narrowing his eyes at Willow. He looked back at me. "Were you getting hot and heavy with someone in the janitor's closet?" Ben asked with a raised eyebrow, and I shoved him making him laugh.

"No. I was talking to someone, and I got held up."

"Who?" Willow asked.

"Mathew Baker," I stated bluntly.

"Mathew Baker? What were you doing with him?" Ben asked.

They don't know about Mathew and I's run-in at the tracks. I didn't think it was important, so I didn't tell them.

"I met him at the track last Friday and he invited me to sit with him at lunch today."

"So that's where you were at the tracks the other night?" Willow asked.

"Yea. He spilled soda on my jacket and gave me his since my jacket was soaked in soda." I see that Willow had a shocked expression making me confused. "Why is it so surprising or shocking?"

"Because he and his group barely talk to anyone at this school. The only time they talk to someone is when they are hooking up with someone and they don't really do hookups with people from school."

"Well, I hope he knows that I am not planning on hooking up with anyone at the school."

"But that's so random," Willow stated. "I'm surprised he actually even talked to you cause all of those boys don't talk to really anyone at school."

I look at Ben to get confirmation.

"She's right," Ben stated while nodding his head. "I don't see them talk to anyone really. They really only stay in their small little group."

"He seems friendly," I stated. "He invited me to go to lunch with him."

Willow then sprung out of her seat. "And you didn't go?"

I furrowed my eyebrows at her. "Because I am having lunch with you guys?"

"So, you decline one of the most popular boys on campus to hang out with us?"

"We aren't that bad Willow," Ben said rolling his eyes.

"You could have been having lunch with them, but you choose us instead? Why?"

"Because I always have lunch with you guys." I shrugged.

"Not a good reason."

"Willow, is it a crime to have lunch with you guys?" I asked and raised my eyebrow at her.

She said as she sat back in her seat. "I guess not. I'm just surprised."