Fourteen

"if i could describe happiness to you i wouldn't choose words

"if i could describe happiness to you i wouldn't choose words."
---

I look at the clock that was hung in the office to see that it was almost time for school to finally be over.

I am in my last period of the day which is Office Aid where I help around in the office and take notes to teachers or anything else they need help with. If they don't have anything for me to do then I just finish the homework I have for classes or even read some books that I find in the library, they had here.

I look down at the book in my hand and read the bold words on the white paper.

'She doesn't feel like herself. Not anymore. She was different once. Now she is a watered-down version, pale and thin. She slips through the cracks, unnoticed. She fades into the background, afraid of saying the wrong thing. She grows sharp edges and doesn't let anyone get close to her. She doesn't know how she came to be like this, how she ended up here She only remembers the way she use to be-wild and reckless. Bold and unapologetic.'

I was about to read the second line but then I get cut off by the sound yelling outside of the principal's office door.

"No, fuck this! Do you really think I give a shit about assignments?! I have a little girl at home who needs me, and I could care less about the work that I put in into the school!" A deep voice yells making me look at the door. "Don't talk to me about this shit again but like I said I could care less."

Everyone's head turns towards the door to see what the ruckus was.

The next thing I know the office door opens and I see a familiar figure walk out of the office.

It was Grayson, Kayden's friend, that Willow told me about.

I see him make eye contact with me before passing the office doors leaving, while also slamming the doors.

I remember Willow telling me about him. He is very private and doesn't socialize a lot, but I think she forgot to mention him having such a short temper.

He was talking about a girl in there. I wonder if he is talking about the daughter that people say he has. If he does have a daughter, I wonder how she deals with his temper or if he controls herself around him.

The bell rings breaking me from my thoughts. I stand up from my chair and start packing my things. Once I am done, I say goodbye to the ladies in the office before heading out.

While walking down the hallway I see Ben and Willow talking.

I walk up to them. "Hey," I said, and they said hey back.

I like how close I have become with these two. I never had any kind of friends like them and now I know that I have always need a friend like these two. They have a way of making people smile. Especially Willow with her bright beautiful smile. Every time she smiles at me, it makes me feel lighter and not as anxious. Her smile reminds me of my mom's, and I think that is why I like her smile so much.

"So, what are you girls doing today?" Ben asked as we three walked out of the school doors.

It's Friday night and surprise surprise I am not doing anything. But I know that Willow will probably force me to hang out with her. I don't have an issue hanging out with her though. I love Willow.

"Nothing. I suppose that you have somewhere to invite us to Ben?" Willow asked with an arched eyebrow.

Ben nodded his head. "It's called the tracks. It's a place where you can drink, race, and do all kinds of shit without getting caught." Ben smirked.

"How did you find out about it?" Willow asked.

"One of the guys on the soccer team invited me. It's supposed to be secret because of the cops and shit but obviously, I am not going to tell."

"Sounds fun," Willow said, and then she turned to look at me. "You in?"

I remember my brother would sometimes take me to go racing with him. He would drive on the road, speeding with me in the car while also blasting music that we both enjoyed singing the lyrics to.

I miss those times with my brother. He is the only person I trusted that well enough who make sure nothing happened to me while we were in the car.

I remember begging him to go racing because he would go almost every day, but I had school and he wanted me to focus on school instead of going out with him.

But I still enjoyed the car rides we had with each other.

I don't remember much about the crash or that day in general. The doctors said that I got a concussion when the car turned upside down and I guess I ended up hitting my head when the car crashed.

I remember waking up in a hospital bed screaming for my family but instead, Aunt Isabelle came into the room explaining what happened.

I will never forget how hurt she looked when she told me everything that happened. But again, I don't remember much about that night or what happened during the crash.

A part of me is glad I did because I won't have to remember the look of my parents or brother in the crash since I was the only conscious one but that was until I banged my head. But since I came here, I have been getting these small flashbacks of what happened. They don't show me the full thing, but it hurts to remember or think about it or get a small image of it.

"Alexis?" Ben said making me look at him. "You down, or no?"

I looked at Willow and see her with a smile on her face. She looked hopeful that I would say yes.

"I guess."