Seven

"there is something about you i can't explain

"there is something about you i can't explain. but whatever it is it makes me want to know you in more ways than i can describe."
---

"What are you reading?" Willow asked.

I look away from my book and look at her, who was sitting across from me doing homework.

"Brown Girl Dreaming. It's a poetry book."

"Why do you read poetry?" Willow asked.

Right now, we are in our free period class in the library. She is working on some homework she has in one of her classes and I was looking for a new book to read in the library and ended up finding this poetry book. I just started reading it and I am actually starting to enjoy it.

"Well, it's different for every book I read. In some cases, I relate to it and in others it makes me feel emotions that I sometimes have never felt before."

"Wasn't expecting that answer." Willow chuckled softly. "But I remember you said that you write. Do you write poetry or novels?"

"I don't write as much as I did before. I sometimes just journal down my thoughts now but I use to write small novels and poems every now and then but again that was a while ago. I barely even do that anymore."

"Why not?"

"It's not the same," I stated, and Willow could tell I was going to say anymore so she went back to do her homework.

My mom was also a book lover. She would always recommend good books for me to read and sometimes she would even read some of my novels and poems that I wrote.

"Mama, I hope you are proud of me. I took all of the things they did and turn them into empathy. Mama, I hope you're proud of me, I may have let their poison under my skin, but I let it drip out of my fingers as poetry." My mother read from my black journal. "Why did you write this?" She looked at me.

"Because after what happened today, I just hope that you are still proud of me. I feel like I am not smarter than the girls who talked to me today."

Today was probably the worst day ever. These girls in my English class made fun of me for the kind of answer I said in class today. We were talking about if Romeo actually loved Juliet and I said that they didn't because they have only known each other for a day.

How can someone fall in love with another person after a day?

"What happened at school today was absolute bullshit, Alexis." My mother said making me chuckle a little. "You are so smart and strong baby. You have a very beautiful mind and don't let anyone tell you any different." My mother said with a smile.

I slam the book shut and put it on the table. "I need to use the restroom. I'll be back before the bell." I said while standing up.

"Ok. Don't get lost," Willow said and I left where we were sitting.

I don't reminisce about the past memories I had of my mother. I try not to because it hurts too much thinking about her. Just doing the things she uses to do like reading poems hurts because that was something that we did all the time together.

Once I am inside the bathroom, I look at myself in the mirror. I could see how prominent my eye bags were.

I didn't have time to put concealer on this morning to cover up my blemishes. My hair was in a messy ponytail and my outfit wasn't all that great either. I was just wearing a grey sweater with black leggings.

I didn't get the best sleep last night but what's new? Every night I have a hard time falling asleep.

I let out a sigh before leaving the bathroom to go back to the library where Willow was probably struggling with her homework.

I turn the corner of the hallway and end up bumping into someone.

I stop myself from falling and I try to compose my stance before looking at who I bumped into so that I could say sorry.

When I look up, I meet a pair of dark brown eyes that were glaring back at me. I noticed I was staring into the eyes of Kayden Black, the guy that Willow told me about.

He looks taller than he did since the last time I saw him but that is probably because he is so close to me.

I open my mouth so that I could utter out an apology but instead Kayden makes the first move to speak.

"Are you blind or something?" Kayden asked while glaring down at me.

"I didn't mean to I wasn't paying attention, but there's no need to be rude about it though."

"Rude? You call this being rude?" Kayden asked while raising an eyebrow.

"Well, you don't need to be a dick about it. I said sorry."

"Next time I might be more than just rude so be careful who you have an attitude with." Kayden walked past me before I could say another word.

"Asshole," I muttered before walking away.

I could have been stubborn and kept arguing with him, but I don't have the energy for that.

When I walk back inside the library, I see Willow packing up her things.

"Did you actually get lost on your way to the bathroom?" Willow asked once I sat on my seat.

"No, I bumped into that guy Kayden you mentioned from earlier. I see why you love him so much." I teased.

"Oh god, what happened?" Willow asked with widened eyes.

"I was about to turn a corner and instead I bumped into him. He asked if I was blind, and I said sorry for bumping into him and he was still being rude. But he is such an ass."

"Yup that is Kayden Black for you. He is full of anger and probably other stuff." I laughed at the same time the bell started the ring. "Yay! Lunch! My mom made pasta for me." Willow said excitedly.