sixteen || The party never stops

M I G U E L

I'M SO GLAD VIOLET IS NOT AT ALL PAYING attention to the dirty looks Lily has been giving her all night. Also one of the main reasons I walked her to the bathroom. Last thing I need is Lily and her friends tryna ambush Violet in the restroom.

   It's been a week since I hooked up with anyone and I know that's why Lily is pissed.

   Speak of the devil...she pops up right next to me in the hallway, outside the girls restroom.

   "Is this your way of asking for a quickie?" She asks, standing less than an inch from my face.

   My head gently hits the wall as I try backing up. "I know you saw my date, Lil." I say and scoot to the side.

   She rolls her eyes and smirks. "Miguel Cruz doesn't do dates or girl friends, remember?"

   I don't answer, just look down at my phone.

   I'm not tryna be a dick but I genuinely don't know what I'm supposed to say. Violet is not my girl friend but she is my date. And why even lie, I like the girl. Really like her and I'm not interested in anyone else.

   Lily scoffs. "Seriously?"

   "Seriously what? You and I were always clear about what we had. You knew I didn't want anything serious." I say with honesty.

   Her eyes open even wider in clear surprise, gasping. "Oh, and now you do!?"

   Damn this girl! You would think it'd be Violet tryna pressure me to put a label on this but instead it's an old hook up.

   I rub my face in frustration and sigh. Hoping she gets the memo. I don't do this shit. Ever!

   What catches me off guard is her acting offended, like I wasn't opened with her before. I hardly hooked up with the same girls but Lil was one of those exceptions for me. She used to be cool about everything—so I thought—and would never nag me.

   Lily bites her lip when I don't say anything. "We have been hooking up for a while now, and even got drinks together. I thought..." she shrugs. "I guess I just thought,"

   She doesn't even need to finish her sentence. Cause I know exactly what she thought—that eventually our casual hookups would turn into more.

   "Lil, I wasn't lying when I said that I didn't want anything serious. At the time, I did mean it. But circumstances change." I give her another shrug. "I'm sorry, if—" I try to say but she cuts me off.

   "Don't!" She gestures with her hand to stop. "Don't fucking say that sorry shit every man says when turning a girl down."

   The door to the bathroom opens and two girls come out and smile at me. Not even a minute goes by when the door opens again and Violet comes out.

   Her expression is not surprised but more of entertained. She also clearly fixed her makeup and lipstick and sprayed herself with more perfume.

   Violet walks over to us and smiles at Lily.

   Lily looks like she wants to claw V's eyes out.