chapter thirty nine || happy new years

V I O L E T

V I O L E T

PART ONE:

THE MUSIC VIBRATES THROUGH MY HEELS in the floor beneath me. I walk through a crowd of people as I make my way to the bar. A few guys holler to get my attention, some reach out for my hand but I politely smile and nod no and rush faster to the bar.

   Coming to the New Years Eve party with Kai and his friends was both Alice and mines idea. Wearing this gorgeous black sparkly—tight as hell—jumpsuit that was all Alice's idea. She took one look at me in it at the mall and shouted—literally shouted—'that's the one!' Of course the retail woman agreed with her but if she works off commission she may have only been saying that so I could buy something.

   Now here I am in the middle of a small music venue on my way to the bar, in a tight sparkly outfit, wavy hair and cute heels feeling like a Kardashian. I try to imagine—since this looks like an outfit they would wear—what Kim would do. She would walk around owning the place, loving all eyes on her for sure, she's beautiful. But that's not me. I'm here anxious and nervous with this many guys looking at me.

   I miss my guy looking at me. What would he think? Would he like this outfit? I think to myself. Ugh! Stop thinking about him Violet! Every time I find myself going back to him. He would be trying to take me to the bathroom or the car to have his way with me and I would love every minute of it.

   "What will you have?" The bartenders voice comes creeping back into my zoning out mind. "Ma'am?" He taps on the bar, fully snapping me back. "Are you ordering something?" He has an accent. Irish? Australian maybe?

   I sigh. "Yes. Sorry. Um...let me get a vodka with cranberry, please." I finally order and he smirks, walking over to make the drink. He brings over all the ingredients to make the drink right in front of me.

   "You look like you're having a great time." He sarcastically points out. But when he smiles I see dimples. "You sure you don't want a shot on the side?" He continues to ask.

   Chuckling, I grab my drink as he hands it over. "I know. I'm trying to get into party mood." I say lifting up my drink. "How much?" I ask pulling out my wallet.

   "That's on me." He says.

   "Oh. Uh. No that's okay. I know, I look sad and pathetic but I promise you I'm okay." I say and he chuckles, shaking his head.

"I insist and if by the end of my shift, you can buy me a drink to make it even."

Did he just hit on me? I'm not good with reading these kinds of things. Now that I'm adulting and doing adult things, these adult men out here ain't playing and very straight forward. Like an idiot I giggle and stutter at the same time. So cool Violet. "Sounds like a plan." I say and walk away. Before I get into the sea of people, I turn back and shout "Thanks!" But he just chuckles.