chapter thirty eight || christmas miracles

V I O L E T

V I O L E T

CHRISTMAS MORNING IS A TRADITION FOR US. Christmas Eve is when we go out and spend it with family and friends. We eat, party and open gifts at midnight. But the morning after that is when we open all our big gifts. From me to my parents and them to me.

   This year we have added a new member to our family. Alice gets to spend it here with us and I love it. It's like I have a sister.

   Both of my parents adore her. My mom even made a joke about adopting her if she could but since she's legal of age already there would be no point in that. She didn't actually say she was kidding, everyone just laughed so I'm guessing that's what they all assumed.

   Also, coming over here with my family has helped me so much. I know it also had to do with Miguel's note though. Seeing the words I love you written on there a few times really made me come back to life.

   He loves me.

   Mailing his gift over to his house in Texas seemed like a much better idea than going via Johnny. Yes, we're not together anymore but I'm still in love with him just as much as I was when I bought the gift so I needed it to be almost as special as if I were there to hand it to him.

   His sister was super nice and very helpful when it came to that. She didn't pry or ask me anything about out current status. I'm sure she knows but she kept it all cool. I'm grateful to her for all the help.

   There's a light knock on my room door before it's shoved open. My mom storms in with her cheerful mood and loud Christmas music downstairs. "Girls get up!" She chimes. "It's almost noon and we need to have some breakfast before opening gifts."

   I groan and pull the pillow over my head. Alice barely moves, but also let's out a groan. We came home late last night and buzzed so in no way am I ready to wake up. "One more hour." My voice muffled by the pillow and my mom scoffs.

   "I will open gifts without y'all Violet!" My mom threatens. "And eat all the french toast." But I know she's bluffing. At least about eating all the food. With that, my mom walks out my room.

   Alice chuckles. "She's not having our shit this morning."

   "She's pretty serious about Christmas morning." I say back, removing the pillow off my face.

We stayed in bed for another five minutes longer before getting up to shower and walking down. My mom was barely getting done making lots of food.

   "Finally." My mom smiles. "Grab a plate girls."

   We do just that and begin filling up the place with scrambled eggs, bacon, hash browns and my moms delicious french toast. "Where's dad?" I ask. Usually he is here for this every Christmas morning.