twenty one || I hoped you would need it again

V I O L E T

MIGUEL'S HAND IS HEAVY ON MY BACK when the sound of my phone vibrating wakes me up.

   All the muscles in my body sore. I lift my head gently up, still a bit groggy, trying to remember where I left my phone last night.

   The room is still dark from his extreme black curtains but the sunlight trying to peek through from underneath, letting me know it's broad daylight.

   Finally, I reach my hand down to the floor and retrieve my phone from underneath a pile of clothes. The screen flashes with my moms name on it. And a startled gasp leaves my mouth before answering the call.

   "Violet?" My mom sing songs my name through the other end. "I've called you two times. Everything okay?"

"Mom!" I whisper shout. "Yes. I was sleeping."

"It's almost, one. You never sleep this much."

As gently as possible, I manage to scoot myself out from his grasp. I sit up on the edge of the bed.
Completely naked. "I slept late last night. What's going on?" I say trying not to sound so irritated with her but I am in college now for Christ sake—I'm not gonna have the same schedule as before when I was home.

But she senses my tone and is most definitely not pleased by it. "Excuse me? I didn't know I needed a reason to call and check on my daughter."

Guilt sits in. "I'm sorry mom." I sigh. "I wasn't trying to be snappy...I just wasn't ready to wake up, and the vibration on my phone startled me up." There's no need to be ugly and snap at my mom. Her tone just rubbed me the wrong way.

"I'm sorry too. It's just when you didn't text me like always, I got a bit concerned. I know, you stay up and party now, so it worries me."

I'm a dick. Worse than a dick! My mom has never been overprotective nor controlling. I'm just on the edge because I'm fully naked in a guys room—who she doesn't really know about—and I'm feeling guilty and like I'm doing something she won't approve of.

Another sigh leaves my mouth. "I know mom. I promise it won't happen again."

Miguel begins to stir on the bed. A jolt of panic rises up.

   Please, please, don't wake up!

"Okay baby. Now tell me what kept you up so late." My mom chimes and I can hear the excitement in her voice. She wants to have girl talk. I tell her about my wild party nights and she pretends to be excited but I'm not sure how I can explain this one particular wild event to her?

I manage to get up from the bed without waking Miguel up. Tippy toeing across the room, I begin to search for a shirt of some sort to cover up with.

"I went to a new club they just opened, with my dance friend." I whisper. "It was an hour away so we just took forever out there."

"You didn't drink and drive though, right?" I can hear the concern in her tone.

"Of course not. I didn't actually drink last night and we had an Uber."