epilogue

M I G U E L

M I G U E L

SINCE CALVARY IS ONLY A FEW HOURS FROM
Massachusetts, we've decided to spend the rest of the summer over here with my family in Texas. I see them only on the holidays and we'll be going up to visit Vi's parents on weekends more often now.

Seems like we weren't the only busy ones this summer either. Violet's parents hit her with the old "we're gonna try again" speech when they dropped the bomb that they're living together again.

In their defense they hadn't been together since Violet was a child but deep down she knew at some point again they started hookup up. Whatever those reasons were they didn't wanna make it official and now they have decided to. She says she's happy for them and she hopes it works out this time.

It feels good though to have let everyone know that we have decided to live together. We basically already do. This just ensures that we're good staying here together or over at her parents house without having to hide behind anyone's back.

There's only a week left before school starts and I'm still tryna make the best out of the summer. It has been the best one of my life so far. I only wish Alex were here to have a epic life of his own. But I know that wherever he is, he's watching over me, smiling. That's just the kind of person and friend he was.

Vi and I went to buy flowers, amongst other things to decorate his headstone with. His birthday is gonna come up two days after I leave and I wanna already have it nice and decorated.

"Was red his favorite color?" Violet asks, noticing everything he has on here is mostly red. And I nod. She helps me finish up. We put up some balloons, flowers, windmills and a Happy Birthday sign a shot glass. "It looks beautiful." Violet says.

"It does." I smile in agreement. Hand-in-hand we walk back on the path back to our car. Glad, that usually here in the summer it really doesn't rain so I don't think any of his things we put out will get ruined. I life up her hand and plant a kiss on it. "I know, I always get a little bummed out when I come here but thank you for coming with me anyways baby." I say to her and mean it. I'm very grateful to her for dealing with my annoying mood swings.

"You don't have to thank me babe. This is part of being a girlfriend-supporting your other half." Violet says with all confidence.

"What would I do without you?"

Vi smiles sweetly. "You'll never find out. I'm here to stay." And I pull her into me. "I love you." She whispers over my mouth before planting a kiss.

"I love you!" I kiss her baby.

Approaching footsteps stop us from kissing. My smile quickly fades when a familiar face stands in our view. Violet goes rigid next to me and her grip on my hand tightens.

My ex girlfriend slowly approaches us but also freezes at the sight she surely wasn't expecting. Nicole looks between Violet and I then stares down at our joined hands. Which now my grip is tighter at the sight of her. This is the last place I expected to see her at. Nicole holds a bouquet of red roses in her hand. "Hey," she greets in a hushed tone. "I wanted to call you." She adds but keeps her tone casual. Though completely disregarding Violet's presence.

"There's nothing you need to call me about." I say firmly, and attempt to walk away from her.

"I need to apologize." Nicole cries out. "That's all I wanted to do."

"To me for what?" I raise my voice. "It's my girl, you should be apologizing to!" I say pointing at my girlfriend. Which is true. Violet is the one who she meant to hurt rather she had any idea of Colts plan or not. But Nicole remains quiet, her eyes watery. She looks miserable, if I'm being honest but I don't feel bad for her at all.

Violet tugs at my hand. "I don't want or need anything from her, besides to never see her face again!" And she continues to pull me away, her fingers laced with mine. "Let's go."

Without hesitation I follow my girl and don't bother looking back. I also hope to never see her face ever again. Somehow, I hope she moves far away from here and never returns.

Vi doesn't even wait for me to open the door for her to my truck. She does it herself and hops in. "I've met her before." She tells me as soon as I climb in the driver seat.

"What??" I raise my voice. They met? How did I not know about this. "And you never told me-"

"When I went to have mimosas with your sister, she pretended to run into me on my way to the bathroom."

"So you didn't know it was her?"

"Nope." Violet shakes her head. "She failed to mention her name and even then I'm sure she would've lied." She says meaning it. And I let out a hard sigh.

"I'm sorry for all of this babe." I whisper. "It's like no matter what, somehow my drama keeps getting in the way."

"Hey!" She cups my face. "I chose to love you along with your past. Her actions only prove her jealousy. Because we're in love."

"Is this how love is supposed to be? You being the one to always get hurt because of me?"

Once again Violet cups my cheeks. Firmer this time. "Listen to me, none of this is your fault! Yes, you fell in love with a bad person but you didn't know it. Everyone makes mistakes Miguel but what makes you stronger is when you learn from them in which you did." I sigh and try to remove her hands from my face but she doesn't let me. "You're the best thing that ever happened to me." She says caressing my face. "And I wouldn't change any of it."

God. Violet. She's perfect. I should be saying this to her. She came and made everything better! After years of struggling with finding myself again. Dealing with the loss of my best friend, I finally saw myself for who I truly am, again. Violet didn't come into my life to show me how to be a better person, she came to show me that I already was.

It's my turn to cup her cheeks. "I love you so much." I say to her and mean it.

"I love you so much too." She smiles. "Now can we please go to Whataburger."