chapter forty four || daisy's interlude

D A I S Y

D A I S Y

MAKING MY WAY TO THE BAR, I PUSH THROUGH A SEA OF DRUNKS. I remember coming only once here to 7th street before heading off to college. My sisters wanted me to try out my fake I.D. with them for the first time. There are about twenty bars or more on this street. But Miguel said to meet him at Reservoir.

   A few guys have already tried to hit on me just on my way from the door to the bar. Politely I nodded and thankfully they didn't insist.

   "What will you have?" The girl behind the bar asks.

   "Vodka pineapple, please." I answer, and hand her a ten dollar bill.

   I'm super on edge about meeting Miguel here. I know his sister Mia was coming as well and I'm not sure how I feel about that. She never liked Nicole and when they broke up she even tried to fight her. I know I'm not Nic but I used to be her best friend and she knew that. Hopefully she now knows that Nicole also did me wrong and I'm no longer in contact with her.

   The nice bar tender girl brings me my drink and I take a long sip. More than likely I'll be needing another drink soon, so I'm just gonna hang out here on the bar instead. Pulling out my phone I go to my messages to see if Miguel has texted but still nothing.

   I begin to make my way towards the other side of the bar too find a bar stool when I feel a hand on my shoulder. Twisting my body around I expect to find Miguel but I feel my smile quickly fade as I take in the person in front of me.

   I let out a small gasp.

   "It's obvious, I'm not the person you wanted to see." She smiles sweetly. And I nod, still not finding the words. "Dee!" She says and moves in for a hug, wrapping her arms around me. The hug feels foreign.

   "Nicole." I say dryly. I'm not quite sure what I'm feeling. Maybe it's the fact that I'm in the middle of a bar but I feel nothing. I hug her back and she tightens it, before pulling back.

   "Yes." She smiles again. "How are you? You look stunning."

   I have to blink few times until it registers that she's actually here. Her hair is much longer than before but still just passed her shoulders. She has a gold blondish ombré and like always, her outfit is beautiful and fancy. She looks older and wiser. Nicole always was a beautiful girl and like her mom, they loved the expensive finer things in life.

   "Fine. I'm fine." I'm able to say. "You?"

   The last time I saw her was two days after Alex passed. She went to go visit me and saw the great deal of pain I was in but decided that she couldn't deal with all that cause I never saw her or spoke to her again until, I ran into her before I left for school. But it was a cordial hello and then she walked away. Like I hadn't been her best friend since we were little. That's how much I meant to her.