twenty two || I'm a fucking idiot

M I G U E L

FLASHBACK TO THE FIRST DAY ON CAMPUS hits me as I sit on a bench in the quad, surrounded by people I don't know as I wait on Daisy.

   Between football and Violet, I've been neglecting my friend. I promised to be taking her everywhere and show her around but she's not the party type and she's been so focused on her music classes.

   She's grabbed lunch here and there with me and the guys but I think it was too much for her. The guys were all over her, flirting and throwing compliments galore. And D is super nice but she's been though a lot and dating any of my friends would not be a good idea.

   They're all big ass players—like myself—only difference is that I don't mind the idea of dating and well these guys except for Dom don't really care for girlfriends...ever.

   I don't wanna be meddling in her personal life but I've known her for a long time. I know how sensitive and nice she is. And I know what losing Alex did to her. Another heartbreak would destroy her, I feel and I would hate for it to be one of my friends.

   A few girls walk past me, smiling and waving at me. I'm not a dick so I nod and gibe them a quick smile and hope they don't stop to talk to me.

   Luckily, the doors to the administrative building and out of there walks Daisy in her girly glory. She's smiling and still holding aa conversation with one of her friends, until she spots me and her smile widens.

   D waves her friends off and walks straight over to me. "Hey you," She greets me with a hug. "Sorry, I took long, my counselor was running late."

   "Don't worry about it. Let's go get some food though."

WE SIT IN A BOOTH AT Chick Fil A. Even though it's a Monday Flips will be packed with people and I wanted a quiet, calm place to catch up with my friend.

   "So what have you been up to? How's school going?"

   "A lot actually. So I joined the A cappella group on campus Bells and don't make fun of me they sing great!"

   I snort on purpose. "So you're like one of the Pitch Perfect girls now? A bella?"

   She flips me off. "A belle actually. And I'm quite proud of it."

   "You should be." I say playfully and she throws me one of her waffle fries. "I'm kidding. I'm happy for you. Really. I know how much you love to sing and how good you are at it."

   "Thank you." She smiles and pops a fry in her mouth. "I was so nervous at the auditions but I nailed. Thankfully."

   "That's great. What did you sing?"

   From the look on her face she wasn't expecting me to ask her that question. Her playful expression went that to sad in seconds.

   "Sorry. You don't... have to tell me." I tell her.

   Her eyes become glossy. "It's okay." She sighs. "There You'll Be by Faith Hill is what I sang." And a smile tear drops down her cheek.

   I sigh hard and reach out to hold her hand.

   That's the song she was suppose too sing at Alex's funeral but she was unable to. She couldn't even stand up on her own, let alone sing a whole ass song. I'm just glad to sing it to him regardless of where she is.