Chapter 17

Jaedens pov

         The rest of the day was great, I was very glad I was able to spend time with y/n, and the walk home gave me plenty of time to ponder about anything and everything but it was only a matter of time until we went back to school and had to face Jacob. I was exhausted and drained, I didn't exactly feel like fighting so I could only hope that Jacob would back off. 

                                                                                    Your pov

      "Wake up y/n, I'm not telling you again", My mothers voice didn't sound completely friendly. My eyes flickered adjusting to the golden sunrise only to reveal my mother standing at my door with her arms crossed. 

"Sorry, I'm up", my voice was raspy and my dreams were still alive but not entirely vivid enough to remember. I stepped my legs inside my white pleated tennis skirt and slipped it the rest of the way up my waist. My hair was messy but it somehow didn't look terrible. I hurried my way down the stairs and to the door putting my converse on. 

"Aren't you gonna say goodbye?", My mother hesitated as she stood still looking at me. 

"Bye mom, I love you", I smiled at her. I wish she knew I'm still her little girl, just more preoccupied. I don't mean to make her feel bad, after all she was the only parent that seemed to really truly care about my feelings. The walk was chilly but the sun felt nice on my skin. I turned a corner and on a bench sat a tall familiar guy, someone too easy to recognize. It was Barron but I pretended I hadn't seen him. Its not that I didn't want to talk to him but right now Jaeden needed me, regardless Barron had seen me. I tried to walk faster but he sped up as well calling my name. 

"Hey y/n", Barron shouted from close behind me. I turned around and there stood Barron barely even a meter away.

I sighed and bit my lip, eager to leave. "Oh hey Barron", I smiled letting out a sigh and glancing down at my watch. 

"Oh do you have somewhere to be?", Barron asked raising an eyebrow.

I laughed, "Yeah, school."  He nodded.

"I forgot it was Monday", He smiled, his blue eyes peering into my soul. He got closer most likely wanting a warm hug.de

"Well I should really get going, I don't wanna be late", I smiled. "Bye Barron."

"Bye", his voice faded as I walked away. 

     The school yard seemed more dead than usual but it wasn't hard to spot my friends grouped in a circle. 

"Hey y/n", Sophia smiled at me. 

"Hey guys", I smiled as my eyes scanned the field looking for any sign of Jacob. I let out a sharp warm breath that turned into frosty smoke in the air. "Where's Sydney?", my voice seeming as though I was concerned. Jaeden looked at the others and bit his lip cautiously. "So?", I demanded an answer from my quiet friends. 

"Well we don't actually know", Jaeden admitted and any last bit of a smile that sat on his face quickly vanished. 

"What do you mean you don't know?" Jaeden took a deep breath letting the raw wintry wind fill his lungs.

"Last time she was at my house she invited an older guy over when I was sleeping, I tried to tell her I wanted him out and she had a whole temper tantrum", Jaeden rolled his eyes. 

"Okay but why isn't she here?"

"Again, we don't know y/n. Her mother asked us if we had seen her because she never went home, apparently nobody has seen Nicholas either", Jack explained.

"Wait Nicholas? Is that the guy she was with?" Suddenly my stomach ached and the cold air no longer felt cold on my hot skin. 

"Yeah, why?"

"I know him, we have to go get her", I held my backpack strap tight in my clenched fist. 

"Why?", Finn gently grabbed my shoulder almost as if he knew I was about to leave.

"Because she's our friend and she's in trouble." They all looked lost, like I had spoken another language. They clearly hadn't known Nicholas. He was strong and controlling and I had first hand experience. 

"Trouble?", Jack laughed in utter concern and confusion. I scratched my head and tried to process how to tell them. 

I took in a deep breath, "A year ago him and I were really close, he was always genuine and a good friend. He seemed like a completely normal nice guy but he started doing bad things and became toxic to everyone around him, causing him to push away his real friends, like me. His friends were older guys, and very bad influences on him. One day I saw him with a girl they were kissing and then when she tried to leave he hit her", I talked slow enough for them to hear but fast enough for me to be able to get my words out before the bell rang, I knew we had to take action. "A week later the girl was covered in bruises and Im not sure but I think they were from Nic", I chocked on my words and I could feel my face sink in sadness as I made accusations about my once close friend. Making assumptions were almost as dangerous as them being true, but Sydneys safety is important. My friends faces began to appear worried and it was evident they trusted my words, and no doubt that they cared as much about Sydneys safety as I did. 

"Okay. Lets go",  Jaeden licked his lips in certainty. 

"Where?", Finn asked Jaeden.

"Wherever she is, you guys", Jaeden sounded upset. His voice quivered as the air grew colder. The school bell rang and in a matter of seconds kids were rapidly pushing their way into the school doors. It seemed as though everyone was in such a hurry to get in they didn't acknowledge our posse. 

"You guys know my parents will kill me if I skip school", Sophia scoffed in annoyance. 

"Well Im in", I placed my hand in the middle of the circle hoping the others would stack upon mine like in those cliché coming of age movies. 

"Fine, for Sydney", Finn flashed a dorky smile and he added his hand.

"No doubt Im in", Jaeden looked determined and his hand was quick to lay on top of Finns. We all peered at Jack, Sophia and Wyatt eagerly anticipating they would add their hands to the already steady tower.  Wyatt sighed and placed his cold hand on the tower.

Jack shook his head in uncertainty, "Fine", and once again another hand was added now leaving only Sophia. Our eyes were all dead set on her waiting to see what she had to say.

"Well now I have to dont I?", She rolled her eyes. "I hate you guys and if I get in trouble for skipping school Im blaming it on you all", she laughed and her thin pink mitten aligned with all of ours. "Now lets go find our friend", Sophia grinned at us and all of our hands flew up into the air again like those perfect friendships you see in movies. Although our friendship wasnt perfect it was great and Sydney was a part of it.