~Chapter 27~

The beeping flooded my eardrums as I faded back into reality.
"Y/n?", my name rung like a telephone as Jaeden spoke it, wearing it out in the dull atmosphere.

"Hm?" I scarcely acknowledged him. 

"Do you remember?"

"What? I'm sorry. I have to use the washroom guys. I'll only be a few", I stroked her frail hand that trembled. The halls were hollowed, and most doors shut. It didn't seem to be busy for such a generic day. I hadn't really needed to use the washroom. In fact I was sure I was too dehydrated to even be able to. What I really wanted was to find Nicholas's room. He had newly passed and was scheduled to be moved to the morgue soon, or so I would assume. Meaning his parents would more than likely be with him. The sound of a woman crying was empathetically  loud. I followed the sound. I could tell it was her. Nicholas's mother. I peaked my head in the door just enough for my face to be clear, but not in such ways to interrupt anything personal.

"Y/n? What are you doing here?", she wiped her face clear of any tears that escaped the dark azure river that was winsomely opaque in her iris. She sounded thoroughly confused by my surprise appearance. I didn't say a word, but she waved her hand gesturing for me to come in. Beside her was her husband, who I hadn't noticed from the shield of the door. I nodded at him solemnly. He was sat directly beside Nicholas's grey, lifeless body. I cringed at the sight of his stone cold body laying with such otherworldly peace.

"Cover him", she rested her hand on her husbands shoulder, and doing so he stroked his sons perished, unexpressive face before covering him at last with the black bag. "If I had known you were visiting I wouldn't have had him exposed. I'm so sorry." Her voice audibly cracked as she broke down. My tense shoulders dropped in sympathy for their loss, and I walked towards her, giving her a hug. She held on tight, and I could only think the worst. That she could possibly be imagining a last hug with her son. Which she was robbed of. A warm, recognized hug. One last goodbye to her baby boy. I finally pulled away when her grip loosened on my back.

"Please, don't stress about it. I can only imagine how much of that you've already done", I nodded as she pulled a chair up beside her in which was an invitation to sit. And I did of course.

"Is there a reason you decided to stop by here?", the man spoke more calm than I had ever heard him speak since before me and Nicholas had drifted apart. My throat was dry, and coarse as I tried to speak. I cleared my throat.

"Well, really I am here to visit Sydney, but I heard her say something that sort of worried me."

"And that is?", the mans grey, thick eyebrows wiggled in response to my vague statement.

"Well I heard her say her parents are asking you guys to court in attempt to sue you?", my head dropped in humiliation. I didn't want to be asking this, but it peaked empathy in me. To think that they had just went through pretty well just as much as everyone else involved, and are being punished for their deceased sons actions. My brain sparked question as to why anyone would even want such things. Money in retaliation to a dead kids action. I had felt for Sydney, and as someone so close to her I understand enough of what her parents had to go through. The constant worry that the worst will come about, the attempt to comprehend what such a warmhearted girl like Sydney could have been thinking in those moments, the persistent, freakishly clear image of the battle she was obviously putting up in those moments, not to mention the trauma this will have caused Sydney herself. I fathomed it all, just as I myself had been experiencing plenty of the constant worrying. But the one thing I couldn't seem to comprehend was how such callous actions could be taken. I wanted to apprehend it, but I could only think of it as selfish. He opened his mouth as if ready to blurt out a response, but he didn't.