~Chapter 19~

Your pov

      "Thank you, but really, Im fine", I muttered quietly. Jaedens green eyes stared into my soul. I could tell he wanted to leave, meaning I needed to talk, and fast.

"Is there a particular reason you guys came by?", the father sat down beside his wife. I took a deep breath.

"Actually yes. Are you aware of where Nicholas is at this moment?" I attempted to look as friendly as possible, but the thought of Sydney crossed my mind leaving me with an unsettling feeling. 

"Well yes dear. The other day he brought over a very charming young lady, around your age. They went camping for the week", She nodded her head in a friendly manner. My eyes raced over to Jaeden's and I took in a deep breath, enjoying the smell of fresh warm cookies. 

"Oh", I paused in anticipation. 

"Why do you ask?", the old man looked at me and put on his glasses. The lady sighed and looked at her husband.

"Would you please just let the girl talk Richard. Go on y/n", she urged me gently.

"Well that very charming young lady was my friend, Sydney. The other day Jaeden-", I pointed to Jaeden, "Well he had generously given Sydney a place to stay and the next day he had seen that Sydney was accompanied by Nicholas. As you can imagine that started a fight and both her and Nicholas walked out of the house in exasperation. We haven't seen her since and although it hasnt been an incredible amount of time, its alot for Sydney because shes a really great kid. We cant keep lying to her mother because thats not fair and it will only be so long until her mom realizes", I gasped for air as I spit out my words taking not a single breath. The woman looked upset and almost offended. "Im sorry this is so sudden but where did he go? We really need to know", I urged them. Beneath the table Jaeden reached out and lightly touched my hand, his palms sweaty in fear. I clenched my hand around his fingers squeezing them tightly making an effort to comfort him. 

"You think our son is responsible for her being gone?", the grumpy mans angry voice filled the room and he was clearly insulted. "Your just a child!", he scoffed in outrage while he shoved his finger in my face angrily. Jaeden quickly stood up and stood between me and the angry man. I tugged on his hand in attempt to get him to sit back down. 

"Stop Richard! Your acting ridiculous", the woman screamed, and the man backed away. I tugged Jaeden's hand once more and he finally sat. The room went calm again, but no amount of silence was enough to make up for the terribly awkward tension between us.

"I'm not exactly saying its Nicholas's fault, but he's gone and she is too. I'm not sure that's a coincidence." The room remained silent and tension filled the warm air that smelt of happiness. 

"He told us he was going to Pinewood Drive."

"Thank you, so much", I stood up from the seat letting go of Jaeden's hand and wiping my sweaty palms on my jeans. 

"I just want you to know Nicholas is a good kid", her old fragile voice quivered in certainty. Without saying anything the elderly man led us to the door, and as we stepped out the cool air hit us once again. 

          Jaeden and I took a seat on the numbing sidewalk. 

"Do you think they will be there?", Jaeden asked, his eyes flickering from my face to his hands that were restlessly moving. 

"I don't know. I hope so", I shrugged sinking my teeth deeply into my lower lip, as the cold air blew my hair behind me. "Do you know where or how far Pinewood is?"

"Im not sure. You have your phone on you right?"

"Yeah", I handed him my phone and whispered my password to him.

                                                                                       Jaedens Pov

               Her phone fit perfectly into my hand and the cracks running down the screen were new to me as I had never noticed them before. Her lock screen was a selfie of her and a blonde boy but the pictures lighting was dark making it difficult to make out where they were or who he was. I opened her phone and her wallpaper was Me, Sydney, Jack, Finn, Sophia, Wyatt and her of course. 

"Its a 30 minute walk y/n", I scoffed in disbelief. She let out a large sigh. "How are we going to get there?"

"I don't know, I guess we will have to walk", she shrugged and raised up from the cold sidewalk, wiping the dirt from off her pants. I grabbed her bitter cold hand and pulled it leaving her no choice but to sit. 

"Your insane y/n, we're not walking there", I moved my head close to hers and looked her directly in her eyes. I loved this girl. Her kindness, determination, sense of humor. Everything about her but thats exactly why there was no way I was letting her walk 30 minutes in the cold. I knew she could handle it, honestly no doubt more than I could but it wasn't happening. 

"Thats the only way Jae", her deep eyes peered into my soul. I stood up and reached out my hand hoping she would trust me enough to place her soft hand in mine, and that she did. Our hands locked and she pulled herself up from off the ground.

"No its not", I grinned walking up to the daunting house we had just escaped.