~Chapter 26~

Your Pov

        Jaeden's face dropped as he stared at us. Barron's tall figure moved far enough away so I could see past him with a good view. His hand gripped the door in hesitation, as if he wanted to leave but didn't know if he could.

                                                                                    Jaeden's Pov

     "Sorry", I hesitated to get words out. "I should have knocked".

"Well nothings going on here so it's no big deal Jaeden", Y/n smiled at me and her words came out so fast I nearly couldn't understand, Barron bit his lip, almost like he was trying with all his will not to laugh or smile.

"Yes maybe, but I should have knocked either way", I cleared my throat, "by the way, breakfast is on the table, you guys should come down. Especially you Y/n, we have to go to the hospital in one hour."  She took in a deep breath, closing her eyes, revealing her eyelids in pleasure as the smell wafted in the room.

"Sounds good, thanks", Barron's blue eyes punctured me from across the room, "for breakfast." I nodded back at him, and shot a soft smile at Y/n, one we both knew, indicating she should come eat. Across from the table was Y/n, and beside her sat Barron. He was exceptionally taller than us, even while he slouched in the chair. The table was inconveniently silent as we all shoved pancake into our mouths. I cleared my throat of any syrup before talking.

"It's pretty mucky outside, it started raining a bit, so you might want to bring a rain jacket or umbrella", I warned Y/n, but mostly just desperately tried to create a bit of small talk. I quickly glanced at Barron, who was uncomfortably shoveling in his food.

"Mmm", Y/n acknowledged my liberal warning as she chewed a bite of her food. "Thanks I will", she was finally able to answer properly as her food made its way down her throat. The loud silence gave me the opportunity to examine Barron properly. Something about him seemed weird. Before, I wasn't sure of anything, who he was, how he knew Y/n, what they were to each other, nothing, but now it seemed merely obvious he liked her. She never talked about him, and it seemed as though she wanted to keep him away from me, but other than feeling a teensy bit threatened by him, I didn't have any reason to dislike him. I mean yes, Y/n and I are not dating, but either way I've been her friend since I could walk, actually before that, I never want someone to take her away from me, not as a friend at least. I caught myself staring at Barron's fork, I snapped out of an extensive, deep stare as my head wondered endlessly. He tried to mask his confusion, but for a quick moment, I could tell he was uneasy. Y/n glanced covertly at the both of us, trying not to be obvious. I was embarrassed. I fondled with my fork, dragging the last bite of pancake across the pool of sticky, syrup that swamped my plate, then chewing it carefully.

"We should get going now Y/n, it's a 20 minute drive", I eased, trying not to rush her as I carried mine and Barron's empty plates to the sink.

"Ah, you're right. Okay... let me grab a purse, so I can have a few thing with me." I glanced back, she shoved a giant slab of pancake in her mouth, finishing it all in one bite before quickly running up the stairs.

"Hey, Barron, you mind bringing me Y/n's plate?", I turned back to the sink, but without watching I could hear him push in his chair, and walk towards me. He reached his hand past my body, letting it sink in the hot, soapy water. Though he didn't move. He stayed still, both hands gripping the counter behind him as he leaned back on it, severely close to me.

                                                                                  Barron's Pov

    The steamy water from the sink made my face comfortably dewy. "This is a nice house you have here", I looked around the room. It was no white house, but for an average house, it was nice. Modern, but intentionally elegant. Some aspects almost similar to the white house, well, as far as decorations went. He scrubbed away at the dishes, and I couldn't decide whether offering my help would make a difference or not.