~Chapter 25~

Your pov
Jaeden's curious question cut through the air startling me. My legs subtly shook in the fear of slipping up. I was great at lying, but only to the right people. Knowing Jaeden as long as I had, he was the hardest person in my life to be untruthful to. He was great at seeing right through me, so good I think it would be fair to classify it as a talent.

"Oh Barron? It's a long story, I don't think you wanna hear it", I laughed awkwardly as I rubbed my eyes and yawned, stretching my words out.

"I really do." I uncomfortably shifted at the sound of his words. He was so certain.

"Uh well we met at the field. I was running, he was playing soccer. There's really not much to it", I laughed under my hot breath attempting to avoid any further questions. I wanted to tell Jaeden but I couldn't. Not just yet, plus it really wasn't my decision to begin with, if Barron wanted him to know, he would tell him. He lightly nodded. I glared into his eyes in attempt of understanding what it was he was feeling. He looked like he didn't quite believe me, like I had left something out, which was true.

"Ah I see." He stood up and brushed off his plaid pajama pants. "How about I make us some breakfast? Its morning anyway, and I doubt your gonna get to sleep now?", he bent down and touched my shoulder.

"Yeah, thanks Jae. That would actually be great." I slid the door shut behind us as we made our way over to the kitchen. The warmth from his house surrounded me like a warm hug.

"I'm gonna make pancakes, that okay?", Jaeden shot a tired smile at me as he leaned back on the counter opposite from me. I nodded back, and he looked relieved. The shelves were beginning to look empty so I figured that's why he was satisfied with my answer. Not that it mattered what I ate really, food itself sounded nice. I walked upstairs and entered my room. The old digital clock, that I was surprised even still worked, proved just how early it was, and the light grey sky through the blinds said a lot as well. I rubbed my eyes and approached the closet full of memories, and cute tiny clothes from years ago. I scanned the colours, styles and patterns of the clothes hoping to find something I that would still fit into, although I was sure most of it would fit anyway, I hadn't physically grown too much since then, and was still able to squeeze myself into older clothes. A cute fuzzy brown sweater caught my eye almost immediately. It had been given to me by Jaeden's mother a few Christmases ago, and the feelings that came with it were almost as warm and comforting as it. It fit me well and although it was basic and maybe a little worn out, it wasn't a fashion show I was going to, but instead to visit my friend in the hospital, so it happened to be perfect. I paired it with the nearest pair of black jeans, which also fit me nicely. I admired the casual outfit in my mirror.

The sound of my phone startled me, but not as much as the sight of 10 missed calls from my mom, and 5 from my dad

The sound of my phone startled me, but not as much as the sight of 10 missed calls from my mom, and 5 from my dad. I huffed in frustration. Lack of sleep, and slight depression wasn't putting me in the most sociable mood, which I'm sure adds up. I dialed back my mom, I figured I'd much rather explain to her than my father if anything. She was easier to talk to, and usually understanding.

"Hello? Sweetie?", My mothers voice sounded eager and loud from the other end of the phone, and the appease in her voice wasn't subtle.

"Mom, hey", I tried to cover the anxiety in my voice, but a quiver in my sentence proved a failed attempt.

"Are you safe at Jaeden's or at the hospital? How did the night go? How are you feeling?". She bombarded me with questions making my head throb even more as I tried to figure out how to answer all the questions at once. She always acted such when she was worried. Millions and millions of questions, it was annoying, some would even say another form of torment, but it only proved further how much she cared about me. She did what any other actually good mother would do, she cared, and worried.

"Yes I'm safe", I sighed the words out under my hot breath, "and the night was terrible, but nothing that couldn't be fixed. Anyway I'm gonna go to the hospital in an hour to see Sydney", I paced around the enclosed room as I awaited a response from the other end.

She took a deep breath in, "alright sweetie, that's all I wanted to know, sorry to bother you, update me on Sydney, and tell her she's always welcome here when she recovers. Make sure you thank Jaeden for everything. I love you hun", her voice trailed off.

"Yeah I will, I love you too mom", before she could hang up I spoke up. I wanted to ask her about what had happened after I left but didn't know if I should or not, but now was my chance. "What happened with dad last night? Did he finally stop and go to bed?". Her breathing went silent for a moment as she most likely thought of an answer.

"Yeah sweetie it worked out, don't worry about me you have enough to worry about already". I wanted it to be true but a big part of me felt as if she was only giving me the answer she thought I wanted to hear, but she was right, I did have a lot on my mind already, and any more could send me into overdrive. I stared at the wall in notion, my mind overwhelmed me as the idea of anything in life going exactly according to plan slipped away and clogged my head. It just wasn't possible, not for me, not now, not ever. A familiar face shattered my perplexed thoughts. Barron suddenly appeared in front of me as I turned to the door, which he began to close behind him, leaving barely a sliver exposed. The mouth watering smell of fluffy, buttery pancakes quickly found its way in, causing my stomach to abruptly growl in sudden hunger.

"Did you sleep?", I asked, eager to hear if Barron's night was at least better than mine had been. His mouth turned into a pin straight line and he nodded his head.

"Yeah, I actually had a nice sleep. Comfy bed", Barron's straight expression swiftly turned into a faint crooked smile. "But I take it you didn't?" His light eyes had a slight fleck of sympathy in them as he stared me down, waiting for the answer he already knew. I sighed and shook my head in exhaustion.

"Unfortunately not", I rubbed my head where a sharp throbbing headache formed, from more than one cause.

"Hmm, that sucks", his eyes slyly flickered from top to bottom, but what he thought was sly, was too obvious. I almost smiled at the thought. "Care to share? You know, why that may be, that you didn't have a good night?", his eyes finally found my eyes again as he purposely doe eyed me in a curious way that almost made me second guess if he was really all that clueless after all, or if he awaited only another obviously known answer. My hand gripped on to the dresser and I shifted all my weight on my arm as I leaned on it.

"I'm just tired", I shrugged. "Tired of things constantly going wrong, and tired because of sleepless nights spent dwelling on pointless things." I quickly looked at my hands as I felt as though I had shared too much in the moment. Although I couldn't exactly see his eyes because my lack of eye contact, I could feel them locked on my, he seemed pure and genuine caring. "I'm sorry, I don't mean to share so much and put my burdens on you, honestly, I'm fine it's just getting overwhelming-", he cut me off.

"Yeah, yeah, you don't have to apologize Y/n. I understand. I've had such feelings too. For different reasons of course", his smile faded into a tender, softhearted façade, that when I finally looked up, was hard to look away from. My heart stopped as he stood there silently, willingly sharing his feelings and  completely vulnerably willing to listen to mine as well. "You have every right to feel every feeling you do right now Y/n. I can't imagine what your going through, but I know it's hard, and I'm here for you, every single step of the way. I promise", he embraced me and let my body melt into his warmth for a good 10 seconds before letting me go, even though my mind wished he had never done such a thing. He left me longing a touch I could never dare to ask for. "But what could you possibly dwell on that's, pointless?", his voice was quiet even though he stood closer than usual. Truth was, it was him. Not that I though he was pointless in the slightest, but more so that, I wasn't sure if the way I thought about him was a waste of time. My eyes strived to break free from his so very hopeless captivating gaze, which per usual was unfavorable, but when I finally moved my eyes the least awkward place I could let them rest was his chest. Barron was a taller guy for his age, so his chest was kind of a more natural place to look anyways. His hot desperate breath fanned my face, making me feel faint. I wanted to answer but that seemed nearly impossible, I couldn't lie. The door opened quickly, me and Barron still stood barely an inch away. My heart sunk.