23 ѱ UNMASKED (BWWM)

THE LAST TIME

(LAS COLINAS, TEXAS 2014)

Thirty-two years.

     The sun was shining. Outside, it was yet another hot balmy Texas summer day.

     The plush sofa somewhat swallowed her as she sat down to rest her brain after such a long week filled with meetings, negotiations, and mountains of paperwork.

     Another football player signed to her business partner's management agency. Her law firm always compiled legal documents for the client to formally sign during the final meeting.

     Leaning back on the sofa, she ran through the list of preparations she had made for today. Then, as she allowed the luxury of resting her eyes to supply her a bit of peace, Lanie waited patiently for her sweetie to show up and put a much-needed smile on her face.

     Thirty-two years.

     That's how long they had been together off and on. For nearly half a century, Igor and Lanie maintained a nontraditional relationship full of twists and turns. Their lives never met in the middle for long, but when they came together, it was magic.

     She leaned forward to pick up her cellphone from the coffee table to place an order for room service. First, Lanie made sure they knew to send it in an hour. Then, she proceeded to call him to find out exactly where he was and how long it would take him to reach her.

     "Where are you?"

     "I should be there in about twenty minutes." He responded.

     "Good. Baby, I need you." She whined a little compelling him to get to the hotel quickly. After thirty-two years, she knew what to say to pull at his heartstrings.

      Lanie called him when he was minutes from their meeting place. She had already sent a text earlier in the day directing him to meet her at the hotel where she would be staying until she got the contracts signed and headed back to her Shreveport office.

     Because it was the end of a long week and more travel than she cared to admit, Lanie was ready for the extended vacation she had already planned as a gift to herself for working so hard. Now that she was the president of Pinnacle Source Entertainment Consultants, Lanie realized it was time to slow down and allow her underlings to chase down the contracts. She did her part. She put in the work, and after fifteen years, she was ready to sit back and enjoy the fruits of her labor.

     A few months before she landed in Texas, she did some research to determine what her options were for an extended vacation. Fifty was closer than she cared to admit, and she had spent so many years trying to prove herself while securing her future. Lanie knew it was time to make up for some of the essential life milestones she had missed out on.

     School complete.

     Career secure.

     Love life on track.

     As far as she was concerned, she had it all. Well, she had almost everything.

     Laying on the bed was a legal envelope she had received from one of the private investigators she used to track down people or information from time to time. The young lady received her request to do a thorough investigation some time ago. Though she prepared to make some changes in her life, Lanie's had a few questions that required answers. 

     Armed with a bottle of wine and time to glance over the documents, she decided to prepare herself before he walked through the door.

     She was finally ready to accept his offer.