37 ѱ ADVICE (BWWM)

(Friday, 08/09/2019 5:13 am)

ANGEL

"Hello?"

"Good morning."

"Lee... LeeAnna? How you been doing, girl?"

"Uncle... it's a long story."

"Please don't tell me you done got hooked up with another one of them white boys?"

Though it pained her to hear those words from her uncle, Angel knew that was coming. Her family treated everyone fairly, but they didn't care for Angel's decision to marry a white man. They were good people. They just believed black folks should stick to black and white folks should stick to white.

Her grandma was the only person who never saw the color of a person's skin. She was more concerned with the contents of the person's heart. She often said the heart was what mattered most.

As she brought her uncle up to speed on all that had transpired, she envisioned him sitting in his favorite recliner with a fresh hot cup of coffee and his daily newspaper. She installed a brand new Mac laptop, and all expenses paid cable-internet-phone bundle, but she was sure he never used the laptop or the services. Even though she went down to his house and showed him how everything worked long before she met Cole, her uncle was content with a simple lifestyle.

Angel knew most of the seniors back home lived the same way. They had no use for modern technology. Most of them believed all of that stuff would fail one day, and they saw no sense in growing accustomed to something that had never been a part of their lives in the past.

She imagined the creases in his forehead and brow were deep as he listened to everything she had experienced since she first met Cole. When she finished her summation of their time together, she explained how angry she was with him. Angel went on to explain how she needed some help to figure out the best course of action.

"Didn't you know what that man was when you saved him?"

"Yes, but..."

"But, what?"

"I didn't know I would have to go through all of this."

"So I guess you want a metal or maybe a pat on the back?"

"Uncle, why must you always make me feel so confused? Why can't you give me a straight answer?"

"Maybe I don't want to be responsible for your actions so you can be mad at me later. If you want me to tell the truth, I will. If you want me to sugarcoat bullshit and try to convince you it's chocolate, let me just hang up the phone right now. I don't have time to stroke your ego or anyone else's."

"Please... don't hang up. I thought you would have told me that Cole is a bad guy and I should leave him alone."

"You are in no position to pass judgment on anyone."

"I don't have anyone else to confide in. Besides, why would you say that to me after everything I've been through?"

"Look here, now. Even though you were named Angel, we tried to teach you the right way to do things because you always have been a bit stubborn and a lot rough when you were a little girl."

"I know."

"My mother--God rest her soul--took you in and did everything in her power to bring you up the right way after your mother died. She was never tired of showing you the right way to go about life, but she was worried this world would try you. Did it ever seem strange that such a peaceful God-fearing woman would allow a young girl to learn about weapons and self-defense?"