41 ѱ RETRIBUTION (BWWM)

KARMA

"So what's the next step?"

"Just lay low and as soon as they stop looking for that lying sack of crap, I'll reach out to a friend on your behalf."

"Are you sure they'll let me take over the leadership of the compound?"

"Of course, you will. Ain't you the picture of good health? Haven't you served your country and this community selflessly all these years? Honey, those knuckleheads would be fools to pass up on the opportunity to promote a man who is the very picture of what they imagine for our people. You're a young strong white Christian male. You love The Brotherhood, and I believe you'd die for our cause?"

"I'm prepared to do whatever it takes. I would never betray my people for some nigger bitch."

"Good. Good. Good. That's the right attitude. I'm pretty sure you'll be fine. Just follow my lead and wait until I tell you what comes next."

Once the conversation wrapped up, she casually tossed the cellphone on the desk with a thud. Kara's eyes roamed around the office straining to register the natural white wood in the dark. Now that the call had come to an end, the devious victim's lips curled up as if she were a true grinch. Kara settled against the high-backed honey bronzed leather chair where Igor had at one time forbidden anyone to ever sit.

Mrs. Berg recalled how excited her husband had been when the furniture, now filling his office, was delivered. It was the first time she had ever seen a desk and other accessories crafted in the most beautiful natural white hue coated only in clear varnish and no paint. The conversations she'd recalled overhearing about the office furniture reminded her of the time and vision her husband had tied up in his image. When he instructed the artisan on how to create the custom-made furniture, the craftsman insisted it would cost an indecent amount of money since the work was difficult to complete using wood from holly trees. Of course, Igor's mind was set on getting what he wanted. Instead of the dark colors, he had seen in every office he'd visited. He decided to design his own workspace befitting an important leader in the White man's army.

Now, that her husband was gone, Kara believed anything she had a mind to do was possible. For some time, she had planned to assume leadership of the community using one of the weak-minded brothers as a shield. Luckily for her, everything came together nicely. She played the victim and her husband's life was extinguished as a result of acting skills she wasn't aware she possessed.

Feeling satisfied with herself, Kara's thoughts drifted away as she set about plotting her next course of action.

From behind the scenes, she would orchestrate a different community taking away some of the power once held exclusively by the men. The women at the compound would enjoy access to a little more freedom, but for the most part, everything else would remain the same.

Even though she didn't agree with her husband's betrayal, Kara Berg was a Christian Fundamentalist. She believed in the order of the household as it was laid out in the Holy Bible. In her mind, nothing changed her belief in a good God-fearing white wife following the lead of a good God-fearing white husband. She refused to turn their community into one of those places believing in "new-world" foolishness. 

Regardless of all that had transpired between her husband and herself, she still planned to follow the family structure guidelines of their community, for the most part.

Kara was so lost in plotting her next coup that she failed to realize she wasn't alone. Even from the first second that she'd walked inside the office door, someone had already figured Kara would make her way to this office, sooner or later.