ch.1

"hello?"

"beep,, beep,, beep..."

my eyes fluttered open as i glanced around the room, wondering where i was. i looked up, noticing the beeping that had just woken me up came from a holter monitor.

     i sat up slowly still trying to figure out my surroundings

i sat up slowly still trying to figure out my surroundings. wincing in pain from my shoulder, soon noticing the dried blood on my scrubs.

i pulled myself up off the cold floor, seeing a puddle of blood that must of came from my wound. glancing around the room, i figured out i was in the hospital that i had been completing my residency at.

i walked through the doors of what seemed like an abandoned hospital. supplies and equipment thrown around everywhere.

all the rooms were a complete mess and had no patients. after awhile of wondering around, i came to a realization no one was here anymore.

the exit sign that used to light up a bright red, was no longer lit. i walked out the back entrance of the hospital to see abandoned cars and junk everywhere.

"what the hell happened here?" i whispered to myself in shock of what my eyes were seeing. i started walking to the main road when i realized a movement that made me jump.

the movement was a guy, who looked to be around mid thirties. he was dressed in a hospital gown with shorts. the hospital gown was fully opened revealing a dressing on his abdomen.

i must've completely blacked out after seeing him because all i remember was waking up in the middle of the road where i once saw the man. i picked myself up again and started running to where i had seen him.

but when i got there, he was gone.  my eyes started to search the place, trying to find him.  my body froze, hearing a growling noise coming from behind me.

it wasn't an animal to my surprise, but a human. the women looked sick, her skin tone was close to a light grey, with dirt all over her body.

"hello? ma'am are you okay?" i questioned, but got no response. the only thing that escaped her mouth was more growling and slurred words as she came closer.

i soon realized that she wasn't what i was, the living.

she reached out her arms in an attempt to grab me, but i bolted the other direction before she got the chance.

i didn't look back. i just kept running, not knowing what was going on. not knowing where i was going.

i ran around the hospital building, trying to get away and shake the thoughts about what i just witnessed. the dead. to only run into a huge herd of them. men, women, and kids.