ch.20

killer within

loris grunts echoed through the room, mixed with loud alarms we had no clue on what was.

"we have to get back to our cell block to have hershel and melanie help you." carl stated, causing maggie to shut him down.

"we can't risk getting caught out there. you're gonna need to give birth to this baby here" maggie informed, earning a sarcastic comment from lori, "great"

my body flooded with tons of emotions, realizing i was gonna have to deliver loris baby by myself, without hershel.

"come here- let's get your pants off." maggie stated as we helped lori to the ground, soon pulling her pants down.

i looked up to carl, seeing worry written all over his face, "you're gonna need to help deliver your brother or sister. you up for that?"

carl nodded his head, breathing out a quiet yeah. "i'll do an exam, see if you're dilated"

lori nodded, setting her head back. "do you know how?" carl asked, causing me to shrug, "i've watched before, you pick up a couple things when you're a resident."

i shook my head, "i can't tell"

"i gotta push" lori insisted, standing up to her feet, grabbing onto a metal pipe for support.

lori yelped, causing me to check to make sure everything was okay, only to feel a thick liquid coat my hand.

"lori, stop. somethings wrong." i pleaded, moving my hand into my view, seeing blood.

my hand shook worriedly, looking up to maggie. "let's get you on the ground" maggie mumbled, unsure of what to do.

i brushed loris hair out of her face, watching as she drifted in and out of consciousness. "i'm not gonna make it."

my eyes shot to hers, shaking my head, "i'm not losing this baby. you've gotta cut me open." she uttered, grabbing my hand into hers as she looked to me.

"no. i cant" i muttered, looking at her sadly, "you don't have a choice"

i shook my head, "lori, i've only watched the procedure a couple times. i have no anesthetic, no equipment-"

she cut me off, "carl has a knife, you carry your fighting swords everywhere. i know you, melanie."

"you won't survive" i warned, looking at her intensely. "my baby has to survive. please, for all of us. please, melanie, please."

i looked to maggie, forcing back my tears. she gave a small nod, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"oka-okay." i uttered, wiping the single tears that fell from my eyes.

"baby, i don't want you to be scared, okay? this is what i want. this is right. now you -you take care of your daddy for me and your little sister or brother you take care-"

before she could continue carl cut her off, "you don't have to do this."

"you are going to beat this world. i know you will. you are smart, you are strong, and you're so brave and i love you." lori uttered, holding back tears to be strong for carl.

"i love you too"

as she continued, i looked to maggie taking her hand in mine while we both cried at loris goodbye to carl.

"melanie, maggie, when this is over you're gonna have to-" before she could continue me and maggie cut her off, "shhhh"

"you have to do it. it can't be rick" lori started, pausing to take a couple deep breaths, "melanie, you gotta take care of my babies, okay? make sure rick keeps in line."