ch.19

sick

once we closed the door me, daryl, and tdog pressed our weight against it, hoping we could hold it shut.

"melanie, i need you, now!" rick shouted, causing me to look to daryl, who nodded, "i got it, go."

i pushed off the door, rushing to where hershel laid. i ripped the bottom of his jeans off, revealing a chunk missing from his leg.

"i think if we cut it off, we can stop the infection from spreading through his body but it has to be now." i informed, looking up to rick.

rick looked at me intensely before nodding his head, "hold him down." he instructed, starting to pull his belt off.

"okay, we're actually doing this" i muttered, grabbing the belt from ricks hand, wrapping it tightly around hershels leg.

"are you doing the honors or am i?" i questioned, holding out the hatchet, rick grabbed the hatchet from my hand, giving hershel one last look.

"there's only one way to keep you alive."

my mouth dropped open naturally, watching as rick went ham on the leg. "jesus" i cringed, turning my head to look away.

once i heard the last chop, i turned back around, watching as the blood flowed out. "he's bleeding out"

just as i was about to lift the leg daryl spoke, "duck."

i decided against it as i jumped to my feet, raising the gun that shane passed down to me. men in blue jumpsuits appeared behind a cage, staring at us.

"holyshit" the blonde one muttered, looking down at hershels leg, "melanie, hershel needs you. let daryl handle them."

i looked down at rick, giving him a small nod before pulling my extra shirt over my head, leaving me in a tank top.

i bent down, wrapping it around his leg in hope to slow the bleeding. "maggie, come here. hold his leg as hard as you can."

she nodded, following my instructions as i stood following glenn. "you have medical supplies?" glenn questioned, walking past the people without a worry.

"whoa, where do you think you're going?" one asked as we passed, "don't you see he's dying? mind your damn business." i sneered

me and glenn grabbed a long cart, pushing it to where hershel laid. "come one, we gotta go." rick insisted, placing hershel on the table with glenns help.

t opened the door, letting us out as i guided us back through the tunnels with the help of the arrows glenn spray painted.

"open the door, it's hershel!" rick screamed out as we entered the small cafe, "carl, come on!"

the others rushed to our sides, helping us lift hershel onto the bottom bunk. "is he gonna die?" beth uttered, looking down at her unconscious father.

lori shook her head, pulling beth into her arms, "he's gonna be okay. he's gonna be okay."

rick kneeled by me and carols side as we started to work, "do you think you can stabilize him?"

"we need to keep his leg elevated." i informed, looking around for anything we could use, "get some pillows!" carol yelled

"we can burn the wound to clot the blood. i can start a fire." glenn suggested, causing me to shake my head, "no, the shock might kill him."

carl appeared again, handing me the towels in which i handed to carol as i looked to glenn, "check his pulse, make sure he's still alive"

glenn nodded, moving his fingers to hershels neck, "he's still alive, it feels faint though."