ch.21

hounded

my eyes wondered out the car window, watching as we passed abandoned buildings.

me and glenn had volunteered to go out on a run. we were running low on formula and food in general.

glenn pulled the car into a small parking lot, stopping right in front of the old store. i opened my door when we came to a stop, hopping out.

i checked around the car, searching for walkers or other groups, "it's clear outside" i informed, walking towards where glenn stood.

"all right, let's take a look" glenn mumbled, causing me to reach out for his arm, stopping him, "hey"

he gave me a confused look as i leaned in, planting a quick kiss on his lips. i pulled away, getting a full view of his face.

he grinned, placing his hands on both side of my face, pulling me back in. i smiled against his lips, causing him to also smile.

"it's a beautiful day" i mumbled before walking to the car to get the wire cutters, soon handing them to glenn.

i stood back, watching him do his thing, ducking straight after he opened the door as birds flew out.

i stood back up, sighing, "let me make sure it's safe first." glenn stated, earning a nod before i shined my flashlight into the dark store.

"i'm tired of waiting, i'm coming in" i mumbled, moving into the store behind glenn.

after making a couple rounds, in and out of the store, we made our last round, checking out each other's items once we were outside.

"we just hit the powdered formula jackpot." glenn said, holding up one of the cans. i let out a breath in relief, "oh, thank god"

he nodded, messing around with other stuff in his basket, "i also got beans, batteries, cocktail wieners, many mustards."

i frowned, "you did way better, i only got a toy duck and spaghetti sauce."

he chuckled, rubbing my arm, "do better next time, loser"

i huffed, turning away from glenn, shoving my basket in the trunk.

"it's a straight shot back to the prison from here. probably make it in time for dinner"

i nodded, turning to grab his basket out of his hands, loading it into the back. "and where is it y'all good people are calling home?"

my head shot it the familiar voices direction, pulling out my gun on instinct. my eyes widened, seeing a man i dreaded, merle dixon.

"merle?" glenn called out, causing merle to recognize us as he started laughing, kneeling to place his gun down.

"wow!" merle huffed out, standing back up with his hands in the air, stepping closer.

"merle, back the hell up!" i sneered, aiming my gun at him, eyeing his every move. "okay, okay, honey. jesus"

"you made it." glenn uttered, also eyeing him up and down, "can you tell me, is my brother alive? huh?"

i hesitated before nodding, "yeah"

merle smiled, nodding his head in excitement, "hey, you take me to him and i'll call it even on everything that happened up there in atlanta. no hard feelings, huh?"

we both stayed silent, our eyes moving to where his hand used to be, seeing a metal contraption.

"you like that? yeah." merle started, chuckling as he shook his metal hand, " well, i found myself a medical supply warehouse. fixed it up myself."