ch.25

prey

i sat down at the cafeteria table with michonne, helping her and the rest load more guns.

the door opened behind me, causing a slight freight as i turned around to see rick and daryl. a smile spread across my face, but theirs stayed straight.

everyone else followed rick into the cell block, but when i didn't move, daryl came up beside me grabbing my arm to pull me up out of the chair.

    leading me into the room with the others. "dickhead" i hissed, loud enough so he could hear, all he did was roll his eyes.

"so, i met this governor. sat with him for quite awhile." rick stated, while i stood with my arms over my chest next to glenn and daryl.

   "just the two of you?" merle questioned, earning a nod from rick, "yeah"

merle turned to leave the conversation, passing me and glenn on his way out. "should have gone when we had the chance, bro."

i shook my head, giving glenn a look, assuring him he made the right call.

"he wants the prison. he wants us gone.dead. he wants us dead for what we did to woodbury." rick paused, silence running through the room, as we all stared in his direction, "we're going to war."

   after the words left his mouth, everyone started stayed silent, quietly leaving the room without a word.

daryl left my side, his eyes looking back at me as if we was gonna say something but he shook his head, turning to leave anyway.

my gut told me something was off, the tone in ricks voice, the way daryl looked at me. so i followed where rick was heading, planning to get to the bottom of it.

he stood in the middle of the cat walk in silence, watching the walkers try and pry their bony fingers through the fence.

i walked to where he was, letting out a cough to get his attention. his head turned to where i stood, acknowledging my existence.

"the group's taking it as well as can be expected." i stated turning my focus to where he was looking.

"merle and michonne are convinced we should hit first, hershel and carol think we should take our chances on the road."

he looked towards me as the words left my mouth, "but we're in this together. so if we stay and fight, so be it." i assured, turning my gaze to his.

"he gave me a choice, a way out." he claimed, looking into my eyes, curious thoughts filled my head, "what does he want?"

"michonne" he said blatantly, clicking his tongue. i shook my head in disgust, "he'll kill her."

he nodded his head, "and then kill us anyway."

i looked down at the ground, thinking about everything. "but what if he doesn't. what if this is the answer?" he asked, causing me to shrug.

"why didn't you tell them?" i questioned, my eyes still on the ground.

"they need to be scared." he insisted, turning his gaze back to me, "they are" i responded