ch.8

escaping death

we all turned, heading for the door but we didn't make it in time as we all watched the metal door close in front of us.

"did you just lock us in? he just locked us in!" glenn panicked, causing me to rush to his side, grabbing his face.

"hey. hey. you need to calm down." i pleaded, moving my thumbs across his cheek bones, trying to calm him.

"calm down? you want me to calm down?" he started, looking at me as if i was crazy, "how the hell am i supposed to do that not knowing what really happens after the timer runs out?!"

i paused, watching him go into a frenzy of words, not knowing how to shut him up. "hell with it" i muttered, smashing my lips against his.

his words and shouting stopped, shocked from my actions. he hesitated before kissing me back.

i soon pulled away, raising my eyebrows at him, "you calm now?"

he looked at me amazed, nodding his head, "calm. really calm."

i nodded, pulling my hands away from his face as i started walking to where the rest were. shit that gave me butterflies.

"h.i.t.s are deployed to prevent any organisms from getting out." jenner stated just as me and glenn rejoined the conversation.

"h.i.t.s?" rick questioned, looking nervously at jenner, "vi, define."

"hits- high-impulse thermobaric fuel explosives consist of a two stage aerosol ignition that produces a blast wave of significantly greater power and duration than any other known explosive except nuclear..."

whimpers and sobs started to fill my ears, blocking out every other word vi said. my eyes shifted to glenn, who had already been staring.

i didn't hesitate as i stepped over to where he was, pulling him into a hug. trying reassure him and myself that we'd be okay.

"it sets the air on fire." jenner started, causing me and glenn to pull away from each other as we faced him, "no pain, an end to sorrow, grief, regret, everything."

after the words left his mouth, it wasn't before the others tried busting down the door. trying to get out.

i sat beside lori, listening to jenner spew some more scientific facts, trying to change everyone's views.

"you know what's out there. a short, brutal life and an agonizing death. your sister, what was her name?" jenner asked andrea who was sitting with her knees to her chest, "amy"

"amy. you know what this does, you've seen it. is that what you really want for your wife and son?" jenner turned, questioning rick who just appeared.

"i don't want this." rick sneered

"you do want this. last night you said you knew it was just a matter of time before everyone you loved was dead." jenners pleads caused us all to fall silent.

"what? you really said that? after all your big talk?" shane asked, looking at rick in disbelief.

"i had to keep hope alive, didn't i?"

i scoffed, "that's a funny way of keeping hope alive."

"there is no hope. there never was." jenner corrected, looking between me and rick.

my eyes fell to carol who was holding sophia in her arms, "this isn't right. you just can't keep us here." carol cried out, causing me to usher sophia to where i stood.