ch.28

too far gone

  "melanie." a shaky voice muttered, causing my eyes to flicker open, a smile spreading across my face seeing glenn was awake.

   "hi love." i smiled, turning my body so i could see him fully.

"you're okay, everyone's okay?" he questioned, placing a hand on my face as he traced over my facial features.

   i nodded my head, "everyone's okay, you're okay." i reassured, leaning in to place a kiss on his forehead.

i pulled away looking into his confused eyes, "well i feel terrible, i could use a vacation" he mumbled, making me chuckle.

   "yeah" i smiled, moving my hand to where his was, interlocking our fingers.

   "you know... our anniversary is coming up." he grinned, raising his eyebrows.

   "is it?" i questioned, giving him a smirky smile, causing him to chuckle, "one of these days."

my smile slowly faded away as i thought of the recent events and how scared i was to lose him.

   "hey, what's wrong?" he questioned in a worried voice, causing me to shake my head.

"i thought i was for sure gonna lose you this time, it scared me a little." i frowned, moving my body closer to his so i could place my head on his chest.

"don't worry, i wasn't quite done with this life yet." he stated, brushing his fingers through my hair.

   "do you ever miss your family?" i questioned him, moving my head so i could look at him.

"of course i do, my sisters and parents." he mumbled, pulling a hair strand out of my face, tucking it behind my ear.

    "i had sisters too, they were both my best friends." i smiled feeling my heart warming at the memories of them flooding my brain.

     "what were their names?" he questioned, still playing with my hair.

   "kennedy and davina." i started, now moving to sit up, "davina was the oldest, then kennedy, and then me."

     he nodded, placing a hand behind his head, "do you think there's a chance they're still out there?"

     i shrugged, looking down at me and glenns intertwined fingers, thinking about two of the most precious people in my life.

    "i hope so, thinking about them everyday is eating me alive."

     glenn brushed his thumb against my hand, pausing to think about something, "if they're out there, we'll find them."

     a small smile appeared on my face as i nodded. soon i stood up, taking my gun from the side table, placing it into my holster.

    "i'm gonna go check on hershel, i love-"

     before i could finish, a loud boom from outside rang through the air, causing the prison to shake.

"what was that?" glenn questioned, looking up to me with confused eyes.

"i don't know, stay here. i'll be back." i stated, running out of the cell, hearing glenn yell for me to come back behind me.

i ignored his calls, running out of the building where i met with rick and some of the others. "rick, what the hell's happening?!"

"i don't know, just stay behind me" he responded, pulling me back behind him as we ran to the gate.

    my eyes widened in shock, seeing cars and trucks lined up outside the gate. "rick! come down here with your lieutenant, melanie. we all need to talk."