ch.23

home

   "daryl, you don't have to this." i stated, running behind him as he walked back to the car.

    "you'd do the same thing if it were your sisters." daryl mumbled, earning an eye roll, "no my sisters wouldn't have done what merle..."

    i stopped myself before saying anything else, quickly changing the subject, "what do you want us to tell carol?"

    he paused, turning to look at me, "she'll understand" he nodded, causing me to place a hand on my head, unsure what to say next.

    "what about me, huh? after what we've been through at the farm. you can't just make me care and then leave. you're my best friend"

     daryl shook his head, reaching back inside the car, "you'll be fine, mel. you always are."

    i sighed, watching as he swung his bag over his shoulder, closing the trunk lid. "take care of glenn and the others. most importantly yourself, i know how you can get."

    "how i can get?" i asked, crossing my arms over my chest. he nodded, "risking your life too damn much for people who don't deserve it."

    i scoffed, "like you're doing right now for merle?"

    he ignored my comment, moving towards the woods. "daryl, are you serious? daryl!" glenn called out, moving to where i stood.

    daryl ignored glenn too, grabbing his brothers shoulders before walking deep into the woods.

   "come on" i mumbled, glancing between the three as i opened the car door. i knew that no matter how much we called out and pleaded for daryl to stay, he wouldn't listen.
____________

   my eyes shifted from the outside the backseat window, to the front when the car came to a stop.

    i sighed, seeing a red truck stopped in the middle of the road. without a second thought, i hopped out, wanting to just get back to the prison.

   "get the brakes" rick stated, causing me and glenn to nod as we moved towards the truck.

   glenn opened the door, coming face first with a walker. i watched as he grabbed its shoulders, throwing it to the ground. completely and ruthlessly stomping it's head into mush.

   me and rick eyed him up and down, following him when he slowly walked away. "you didn't kill him."

    i gave rick a confused look, standing a little bit farther away from the two. "that's not why we went back"

    "no. that's right. you went back for daryl and now he's gone again and the governor is still alive." glenn sneered, never taking his eyes off rick.

    "melanie and daryl were the priority" rick replied, nodding his head. "i should have been with you." glenn mumbled

    "you were in no condition."

    "but my girlfriend was?" glenn shouted, causing me to step in, "glenn, this isn't about us."

    he completely ignored me, continuing on, "i should have been there."

     "hey, hey, you didn't come back with me because you could barely walk." rick replied, only pissing glenn off more.

    "what about her?"

    "what about me, glenn?" i asked, throwing my hands out to my sides. "do you know what he did to her?!"

    "leave it alone!" i shouted, getting fed up with glenns change in attitude. i saw ricks attention turn to me, finally getting a jist on what the governor did.