ch.9

what lies ahead

i trudged through the grass, following behind rick who would look back at us every so often. making sure that everyone was still following along.

my eyes drifted to my belt loop, taking out my new fighting knife for protection. loud bells rung through the air, causing all of our heads to turn and glance at each other.

rick pointed in the direction it was coming from, ushering us to follow him as he began running.

"if we heard them, maybe sophia does too." carol stated, earning a nod from me, "it might even be her."

"someone's ringing those bells, maybe calling others." glenn added as we walked, "yeah, come on."

we walked until the light got brighter from the woods, appearing out of the trees, seeing a small white church.

"that can't be it. got no steeple, no bells." shane started, scoping out the church up ahead, "rick"

rick ignored shane as he bolted to the church, catching us all off guard.

i shrugged my shoulders to the rest who were glancing around, before running after him, stopping when we got to the set of red doors.

he opened the doors, causing my knife in hand to instantly rise just in case there were walkers waiting at the door for us.

we all stopped at the door way, watching a couple walkers who were sitting in the pews, turn in our direction.

i gave rick a nod before walking around the pew to where one stood, jabbing my knife up through its jaw.

considering there were only three, we completed what needed to be done fast. and in just a matter of time, the church bells rang again.

we all rushed outside to where it came from, only to find out it wasn't sophia. "a timer. it's on a timer" daryl confirmed.

i let out a sigh in disappointment, walking to the small graveyard near the church.

when i lived back at home, i used to go to the cemetery all the time to visit my dad. i grew a liking to walking around and seeing how far back the tombs and stones were dated.

"wow. 1897" i heard a voice mumble, causing my head to shoot to where the voice came from, finding glenn.

"god, you scared me." i hissed, catching his attention as he looked up from the gravestone. "sorry" he mumbled, slowly making his way to where i stood.

i shook my head at him, continuing to look at the dates. "so..." glenn uttered as we walked, making me roll my eyes.

"so what?" i asked, moving my eyes to where he stood, walking behind me.

"what are we?"

i stopped, now fully turning my body to face him. "hm, what are we?" i started, raising my eyebrows, "we're friends glenn, i don't hold anything against you"

he gave me a weird look, shaking his head, "that- that's not what i meant. i mean what are we actually, you know... the kiss"

i paused, now clearly understanding what he meant, "it was just to stop you from freaking out, why else?" i stated, only causing pain to myself.

glenn rhee had someway managed to make me develop somewhat feelings that i didn't quite understand and i wasn't gonna tell him either.

he looked down, hearing my words, looking as if they cause him pain also, "just to calm me down, huh?"