ch.6

wildfire
glenns pov

we came back with the guns from the city, but no merle and no truck . who would be surprised though? it was merle afterall.

screams of horror and the sound of gunshots from ahead brought me out of my thinking state. "oh my god" rick uttered, knowing something went wrong at the camp when we weren't there.

"go! go!" i yelled, urging to group to run.

as we ran, the only thing i could think about was melanie, her safety. it was something i hadn't felt before, always being alone. she had a way of talking and carrying herself that made me intrigued. i wanted to be around her, i wanted to see her smile, i wanted to make sure she was safe.

as we neared the camp, children and womens screamed filled the place, the gunshots mixed in made it the only two things you could hear.

once people were visible, my eyes multitasked, killing the walkers insight, but always searching for her in the crowd.

"baby! carl! melanie!" rick shouted for them over and over again until his eyes met carls figure. "dad!" carl exclaimed, running into ricks arms, "carl!" rick sighed in relief, engulfing the kid into a hug.

me and daryls eyes searched through the bodies, laying on the ground but none of them were her. everyone paused, hearing carols cry for sophia and watched as andrea knelt down beside amy, who had been bit.

ricks eyes glanced around the group, realizing only carl and lori were near, there was no melanie to be seen. i pulled my hands above my head, fear taking over my body.

he released carl walking over to me, "is- is she gone?" he stuttered, holding back the urge to cry, knowing he couldnt protect someone who thought of him as a father figure.

I shook my head, "her and sophia aren't among any of the bodies, but they're both no where to be seen." i informed him and now carol, as she joined the conversation hearing the mention of sophia.

"i handed her my hand gun, and she took off in the other direction." shane chimed in, trying not to turn the attention towards us, "she wouldn't just take off and leave, right?" carol muttered, hoping that melanie had sophia with her, wherever she was.

"no, i took off for her safety." i heard a familiar voice say from behind us, causing us all to turn and face in the direction the voice came from. it was melanie.

she was holding sophia against her body, a slight smile forming on her face. "sophia. sophia!" carol exclaimed, dropping to her knees to pull her daughter into a hug.

i let out a sigh in relief, watching as rick walked over to her, pulling her into a hug. she patted his back pulling away, "you weren't afraid i died, were you?" she questioned him jokingly, causing him to shake his head at her dark humor.

daryl have her a small nod, in which she returned until she turned my way, where i stood almost lifeless. we both waited until everyone left to be with andrea, and their families. she slowly, made her way towards me.

"hey, stanger."

_________________
melanies pov

"hey, stranger" i started, looking at glenn unsure if he was mad or just shocked, "you made it back alive like i said you would"

he came closer, catching me off guard when he pulled me into a hug. i hesitated for a moment before hugging him back. it wasn't like me and rick, it was longer and it seemed more emotional.

we both slowly pulled away from each other, causing glenn to notice something he hadn't before. "that didn't happen during the walker attack, did it?" he questioned, pointing to my bruised eye.