ch.17

beside the dying fire

i clicked my gun, getting ready to step down the first step, only to be stopped by glenn.

"melanie..." glenn mumbled, causing me to turn, "don't do this, we're gonna see each other again." i uttered, giving him a reassuring look.

he shook his head, "you can't say that because you don't know. what if we don't? what if this is our last moment together? what if i have to leave this farm without-"

before he could finish, i placed my hands on both sides of his face, placing a passionate kiss on his lips.

he froze, just like the first time we kissed back at the cdc. only this time he wasn't scared to wrap his arms around my waist, pulling me closer.

"melanie, you are my life now." glenn uttered, pulling away while placing a hand on my face.

i gave him a small smile, before totally breaking contact as i rushed down the stairs.

i stopped one last time turning to face him, "see you later, rhee. i love you" i smiled, quickly turning around and taking off near daryl.

i hopped on the back of the bike, grabbing my gun before taking off. "you ready?" daryl asked, causing me to smile, "more than ready"

with that, he took off, revving his bike beside the fence. i aimed to any walker close to me, taking it down in an instant. no more hesitating.

my eyes widened, seeing the barn go up into orange and red flames. "wow" i mumbled, mesmerized by how huge it was.

daryl moved the bike a little more, so we could talk to jimmy who was driving the rv. "yo! must've been rick or shane who started that fire. maybe they're trying to get our back. why don't you circle around?"

jimmy nodded, "got it!"

"let me off, i need to help the others." i stated, earning a dirty look from daryl. "what are you crazy?"

i nodded, "yeah, just a bit" i joked, causing daryl to roll his eyes, "if i don't make it, tell glenn i love him"

daryl scoffed, shaking his head at me, "you're gonna make it, you're a tough son of a bitch. tell him yourself."

i smiled, swinging my leg over the bike, watching him pull away.

i jumped into action, shooting down any walker close to me, slowly making my way back to the house.

my eyes caught a glimpse of maggie and glenn in a car, that was surrounded by walkers, causing my heart to drop.

my body acted on impulse as i started to run to where they were, shooting the walkers around the car, drawing them to me.

"come on! come to me!" i yelled, killing them when as they surrounded. i didn't see the car after that, causing me to head back to the house.

"hershel?" i questioned, making my way to where he was, letting off rounds, "melanie". he huffed out, pulling me bedside him.

"hershel, we need to go." i warned, watching as the walkers got closer.

i jumped in freight, hearing a gunshot go off from behind us, revealing rick and carl. my breathing hitched as i smiled, seeing them come closer.

"have you seen lori?" rick questioned, earning a no from me, "i don't know what happened, rick. they just keep coming. it's like a plague. they're everywhere" hershel panicked, looking to rick.