ch.27

infected

    we all now sat around a table in the prisons old library, discussing the precautions and steps we needed to take so this sickness didn't spread.

   "we'll have to separate everyone that's been exposed." carol stated, glancing around the group.

    "that's everyone in that cell block. that's all of us, maybe more." daryl chimed in, earning a nod as i leaned near the table, placing my hands down.

    "we know this sickness can be lethal. we don't know how easily it spreads. is anyone else showing symptoms that we don't know of?"

    carol scoffed, folding her hands, "we can't just wait and see. there's children. it isn't just an illness. if people die they become a threat."

     "we need a place for them to go. they can't stay in d. we can't risk going in there to clean it up." i stated, weirdly feeling a sickness wash over my body.

    "we can use cell block a."

   "death row? i'm not sure that's much of an upgrade." glenn murmured, glancing around.

   daryl shrugged, "it's clean. that's an upgrade. think that'll work for dr. s?"

    i nodded, "i'll help caleb get it set up, there's gonna need to be more than one doctor in there."

   glenn opened his mouth to protest, but before he could, a woman's cough from outside the room turned our attention.

   we glanced at each other before standing up, moving outside the door. "karen, you don't sound so good"

    "i'm just taking her back to my cell so she can rest." tyreese informed as him and karen turned to look at us.

   "tyreese, i don't think that's a good idea" hershel stated, standing his his hands in his pockets.

   "why? what's going on now?" karen asked, glancing around the group. glenn looked to me, soon replying, "we think it's a flu or something. that's how patrick died."

   "judith was in that cell block. she's vulnerable. anyone that may be sick or even exposed should stay away" i added, trying to protect my family.

   karen glanced around the room nervously, causing hershel to step in. "don't panic we're gonna figure this out. we'll have melanie or dr. s take a look at you."

    i nodded, sending her a smile in reassurance. "david from the decatur group, he's been coughing too."

    glenn let out a sigh, pulling his back off the wall, "i'll get him. there's some empty clean cells in the tombs, right?"

    "yeah, we'll meet you there" i replied, earning a nod before he turned, soon disappearing from my sight.
____________

   "melanie! daryl! rick!" i heard maggie call out, snapping my attention away from making herbal tea to her.

   my eyes shifted to where she was pointing, seeing the fence start to lean from the amount of walkers against it.