|017

Flinching slightly at the contact of the disinfectant on my cut, the nurse grabs my hand abruptly.

"Please try your best not to move."

"Ok." I mumble, she smiles and dabs the cotton softly.  I look up and around to try to distract myself from the pain, my eyes landing on Kelly.  He leans against the wall, looking up with his eyes close.  Though his face was beaten up he still looked attractive as ever.  His jawline sharp, hair brushed to side.  Looking at him made me remember what he had told the nurse, that he was my significant other. The man was bold in his feelings, he wasn't scared to voice them even if he knew they wouldn't support it.

"You know, you're pretty hot to be dating a guy." My eyes snap to the nurses as she backs away.

"Okay and you're pretty arrogant to be a nurse." She scowls but it's replaced with a fake smile right after and she places a hand on my thigh, slowly moving up.

"Wouldn't you want someone with a tight-"

"Did he consent for you to touch him like this?" Kelly interjects, grabbing the nurses wrist and moving it away.  He gave her a hard glare that sent a chill up my spine.

"Sir I'm a nurse, it's my job." Kelly lets goes of her wrist.

"Then I suggest you be professional before you lose it." The nurse stares at him speechless, eyes wide, mouth agape.

"If you are done, your patient is calling you." We all turn toward the door and the nurse's eyes look like they were about to pop out.

"Uh yes." She stutters, quickly cleaning up and rushing out of the room.

"Are all your employees like this?" Kelly asks, I could tell he was fuming which in turn made me flustered.

"No, I apologize.  She usually not like this." Kelly nods.  The doctor lets out a sigh.

"Good news, your brother doesn't have a concussion." I slip off the medical table and stand next to Kelly.

"And the bad?" I asks, the doctor hands me the papers and I look down to it.

"He'll have to stay in the hospital until he wakes up and when he does he'll have to stay a day or two so we can run test to make sure nothing else is wrong." I flip through the pages, skimming through the words.

"Are we able to see him now?" Kelly asks, already inching towards the door.  The doctor smiles.

"Yes, he's in room 0281." Kelly sends me a look and I nod in acknowledgement, he opens the door and hurries to the room.

"How are you Dion?" I gulp and clench my jaw.

"I'm going to be honest, I don't know how to answer that." He looks at me with a confuse expression, I let out a chuckle and look at him.

"Never mind Doc, it was nice seeing yah." I open the door and walk down the halls of the hospital, lost in my thoughts. I turn and stop when I see Kelly at the corner of my eye, walking into the room. I cringe at the sight of Callian's injures. He laid still and silent, the beeps of the heart monitor and the outside noise being heard in the room, no talking, no movement.

Kelly held onto Callian's hands tightly, looking at him. I walk in closer and flinch slightly as I see Kelly eyes become glossy and his eyes flood with water but not a single drop dared to fall onto his cheek. 

"God Callian, why did you not tell me?" He mumbles, laying his forehead on the bed, looking down to the floor.

"Why did you keep it to yourself..?" My body stays completely still, figuring out that Kelly hadn't noticed I'd enter the room.

"I was suppose to protect you..." He let out a small grunt, distressed laced in his voice.  I take a step out and stare into the room for a bit.  It was the first time I've seen that much emotion out of Kelly, letting out a sigh , I start walking to the exit.  Going outside and reaching into my pocket for a cig and a lighter, setting the stick between my lips and lighting it.  The toxic air sinking into my chest and the relief running throughout my body.  I lean against the wall and take a minute to close my eyes and take in the environment, the air, the noise, everything.

I've come to terms that Kelly might not be the one, we've never official been together nor go on any official dates. There were a lot of things I questioned and it was the soul reason why we never went farther than friends. I was scared, scared of the possibility of losing someone like a significant other. Kelly was clear with his emotion while I was sitting on the last strings of it. I want to like him, I do like him.

Shaking my head I drop the cig and step on it, rubbing the burning tip dipper into the groves of the sidewalk. I walk back into the hospital and down to one of the vending machines, paying for two waters and walking back to Callian's room with them.  I stop as the door opens and I see Kelly lays his face towards the Callian, eyes closed and his body rising up and down.

Shutting the door softly and setting the waters down on the table, I move closer to the two sleeping bodies.

He's so handsome looking...

My eyes go to the floor and see Kelly's phone, I crouch down and pick it up but as I look up, I take a step back as Kelly's face is now facing mine.  Inches apart from each other, feeling his slow breathing fan my face.  I gulp and freeze. I didn't know what to do, sure we've kissed but we haven't seen nor talked to each other in past weeks.

"I......I wish you were here....." He whispers, I stare a bit before slowly raising my hand and setting it on his head, brushing his hair softly. He looked tired and ghostly, dark circles under his eyes, pale skin, and his lips lacked the pinkness to it. The bruised helped him cover his dark circles and pale skin but now that I was up close, I could see everything.

Who did this to you?

My hand runs through his hair gently, not want to wake him. I let out a sigh as I stand up and move my hand away.

"You protect everyone around you but yourself."