|023

We step into the restaurant and my posture straightens seeing all nice things around me.

"Are you sure I'm dress appropriately?" I whisper, leaning a little closer to Elliot. He pulls out and turns to me, looking me up and down before pulling himself back into the position before and leaning closer, whispering,

"You look wonderful." No other words were needed, just hearing him say that made my stomach churn and my ears heat up.

"Hello, do you guys have a reservation for today?" Elliot turns towards the host and the host straightens his back.

"Mr Newman, right this way." Elliot tightens his grip on my hand as we follow behind the host. I look around in awe. Chandelier hung from the ceiling and the tables were decorated with rare flowers and expensive China.

"These will be your seat for the night, we'll have a waiter with you in just a moment." The waiter shows us a two seater table that faced the skyline that Northglenn was famous for. Elliot pulls me out of my awe by letting go of my hand and pulling out the chair closest to me.

"You didn't have to." I say as I sit, he pushes me in and walks to the other side and takes his seat.

"I want to." I grin towards him and he flashes me a small grin back.

"Hello, I'll be your waiter for tonight. Our special is Salmon en papillote and we pair it with our red wine." The waiter places the menus down on the table gently and stood patiently.

"Are you alright with the Salmon en papillote?" Elliot asks, looking up to me.

"Sure, why not." He turns to the waiter, the waiter noticeably straightening his back even more.

"Two of tonight's special without the wine."

"What would you like to drink instead?" Elliot turns to me.

"I'm fine with a water." The waiter nods.

"And a cup of hot coffee." The waiter nods again and takes the menus and hurries off.

"Coffee this late?" Elliot turns to the window.

"I've got a paper due tonight." My brow raises.

"Then we shouldn't be having this date."

"I'd give up the world to just sit and stare at you." He responds, my face flares up slightly and I blink in shock.

"Don't say that shit all of a sudden.." I mumble, letting out a scoff after.

"How bout you?  How's school?" He turns back to me, his eyes meeting mine.

"It's been alright, finals is a pain but I'll get through." The waiter places down our drinks gently, Elliot nods and the waiter walks away.

"I'd ask how was work but I hear a lot from coach already." My head tilts slightly.

"What does he say?"

"That he's lucky to have someone like you working for him." My eyes widen and my lips grew into a smile.  Coach was like a dad to me and hearing those words made my face light up.  Elliot's lips turn into a small grin seeing the smile on my face.

"He's that important to yah huh?" I nod.

"The father figure I was never able to have." Elliots nods and takes a sip of his coffee.

"How about you?" Elliot looks at me with confused eyes.

"How's school?"  From what I can tell is that he didn't need to go to school, he was already set for the rest of his life but he still took up a job at a high school that probably underpays him and goes to university.

Obviously he was doing his end of the deal with the volleyball team,  the win streak has yet been broken and it's looking like they'll be heading to nationals at this point.

"It's been alright, classes are pretty everywhere but I manage." I nod and smile, opening my mouth to respond but I see the waiter come out with our food.

"That's good." The waiter places down our plates.

"If you need anything else please let me know." We both nod and the waiter walks away as Elliot straightens his back and grabs his utensils.

We ate in comfortable silence, it wasn't awkward nor tension filled just....calm.

Something we both haven't been able to experience in the last couple weeks.

"Wot are you starin at?" My vision is redirected to Elliot's face, his grey eyes shining and sparkling.

"Is there somethin on my face?" He asks, grabbing a napkin and wiping his face gently.

"No no, sorry. I was spacing out." He gives me a small worried look but it disappears when I smile at him.

I'm so lucky to have you in my life.

The rest of dinner was filled with small laughters from me and Elliot's poor attempt of trying to tell jokes.  Hours passed like seconds and I felt at home.  He was my home.

"You know for someone so intimidating, you're a massive softy." I comment, he side eyes me as we walk out of the restaurant.

"I have no clue what you are talkin about." His small grin on his lips giving away is clear denial to my statement.  His car slowly stops in front of us and the valet gets out of the car.

"Come on, we don't want to miss it." He grabs my hand gently and leads me to the passenger seat, opening the door for me and letting me in before going to the drivers side.  He shifts the gear and we drive off.  The city was slowly lighting up as the sun completely goes under, street lamps turning on, bars and clubs opening their doors. 

The car stops and I look out the window.

"Company building?" He doesn't answer and gets out the car, walking to my side and opening the door and putting his hand out.

"Come on."  I get out and he leads the way, going up the steps and entering the building.  I follow him up the stairs, his stance calm and collect but by the way his hand tighten once in awhile I could tell he was nervous.

"Where are we go—" He opens the roof door and my eyes widen.  The roof was decorated with pretty lights and comfy blankets, a small fire lit in the middle of the crescent couch.  He lets go of my hand and I step forward looking at everything in awe.  My heart flutters and my cheek flush despite the cool air hitting them.  I turn back to him and I see the look he has in his eyes.

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure